1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Winter's almost here! STAKE Question!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by alwayz-plowin, Nov 22, 2010.

1. alwayz-plowin

alwayz-plowin Senior Member

Ok well im just wondering what all you guys use for stakes....
    Do you stake commercial stuff or no?
    I know Some people use flags good or no?

i use these cheap little stakes from j thomas!

2. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

I use Re-rod..Then i paint them white..It makes it more of a challenge to find when its Snowing...If you miss a little while plowing ...It Scratches the Crap out of your truck..Lesson Learned....:eek:

Last edited: Dec 2, 2010
  3. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

Discount snow stakes is where I ordered my last 100 from. They seemed to be pretty good quality.

I also picked up 40 from Home Depot tonight, they were a little more expensive, but it was faster than ordering.

4. rich414

rich414 Senior Member

I buy Angelos snow stakes, I order them by the 1000 delivered cost is $560.00 the are 1/4" x 4feet, orange but not reflictive. these stakes go through the blower just fine, anything metal would cost $1000's of dollars to fix the blower......1000 HD stakes would cost $2180.00
    it all depends on your application My application is a 4 mile road.

there are a few other posts on this topic.

5. ShorePower

ShorePower Senior Member

Angelos supply. .45 each when you buy 100 or more. Shipping is within a few days.

6. pvtben121

pvtben121 Senior Member

i did the same for ours

7. rich414

rich414 Senior Member

I had to pay shipping of $0.11 each. what about you?

8. dm5.9

dm5.9 Member

In a pinch you can get them at lowes they have the fiberglass ones with the metal top's in orange or yellow for I think 1.39 ea

9. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Lowes fade BAD and quickly but the metal caps are nice. I've used them, HD's and just ordered Discountstakes ones. HD were the best locally IMHO- held their color and, like all, pass through blowers easily.
    I tend to cut them off near the ground when stacking, but happens to all glass type.

Used thin white glass with big round reflectors on the top for a year too- first plow that bent them the reflectors went flying and I was left with thin white rods.

10. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

if you need to mark something...then stake it

11. blue sky guy

blue sky guy Junior Member

I constructed a hybrid stake. Used wood stakes from LOWES by them 25pk ($4) various sizes. Then attached 100pk of orange marker flags ($8) to them with a few heavy staples. Very visible-will stay in the ground better. Just used marker flags for sidewalk without attaching stakes. Just something different I'm trying.

12. plowboss

plowboss Member

stakes

just made up 360 new stakes to add to the stock. Bought 1x2x8 (15 per bundle) for 1.26ea
    and cut them in half, then paint top 4". 1.26 divided by 2 = .63 ea. (plus tax) 1 can of spry
    paint (about 3.00) did about 120 stakes. adds about about .2 to each stake. Total of .65 each (plus .065 tax) equals about .69 cents each. I did 180 in about 1/2 hour or so.

13. EdNewman

EdNewman Senior Member

Angelo's. I have 1000 of them in the back of my truck for Stakesgiving Friday.

14. bighornjd

bighornjd Senior Member

:laughing: I like it

Hell of a day to pick to put stakes in, especially if you do many retail lots...:dizzy:

15. alwayz-plowin

alwayz-plowin Senior Member

Just saw the ones at Lowes Look good with the caps!

16. EdNewman

EdNewman Senior Member

All commercial and industrial businesses so it will be a ghost town.

17. jgoetter1

jgoetter1 Senior Member

Happy Stakesgiving

18. Pinzgauer

Pinzgauer Senior Member
    from Vermont

I use cheap wood grading stakes (1.5 x 1.5) and spray the top with reflecting paint. Costs me next to nothing.
    But that's just me .........