1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Winter wiper blades

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by SlimJim Z71, Nov 27, 2001.

1. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 PlowSite.com Addict

I have never used these things for one reason or another. Do they work well? I'm really sick of the ice building up on them. Anyone tried these things???

2. flakesmeangreen

flakesmeangreen Senior Member

yeah i use 'em and they work...better than the regular ones. the rubber boot helps keep the ice and snow out. for the small amount of cash get 'em...and if you're real good you'll store your "3 season blades" and put them back on in the spring!

3. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

The "winter wiper blades" with the rubber boot on them have always worked OK for me, I just leave 'em on all year round. Never know, it MIGHT snow in July one of these years........... :D

4. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

They two are the only blades I run. They may lift a little at high speeds but the work really well in snow.

5. 66Construction

66Construction Senior Member

I love em. They're a must have in the snow, but I've found it best to get rid of them come spring, they wear out and dont quite get the rain off the windshield.
    Casey

6. kutnkru

kutnkru Member

Arent those the same blades in the "infomercial" where Municipalities and Emergency Crews swear by them???

7. thelawnguy

thelawnguy PlowSite.com Addict

Good for snow, but useless over 40mph due to wind lift as they dont have the air dam like the oem, so if I need to travel Ill swap back the regular ones.

8. greenquestlawn

greenquestlawn Senior Member

I use them.

In fact I just put a new set on today.

I also keep the regular ones and throw them on in the spring.

9. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Lawnguy on my 4runner and the wifes pathfinder I put airdams off of wrecked Audi's onto the wiper arms. Works very well up to about 70mph with the winter blades.

10. TRINITY

TRINITY Junior Member

Yes, they work well enough to make buying them worth it. I do not use them in the summer because the sun eventually dries out the rubber and they tear.

11. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

They are made of a softer compound and are a thicker contact patch with the windshield. They do drag the wiper motor more, but the snow-clogged freeze ups are a thing of the past. Come April, its back to NEW regular blades. I will be putting a NEW set of winter ANCO's on in about a week or so. Wipers are too cheap to mess with storing or saving. Safety is my main concern.

12. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Installed a new set of winter wipers on saturday.

13. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I will be changing all the trucks within the next week or so. The dust that gets on windshield during cleanups makes me wit to change them until after we are done.

14. nsmilligan

nsmilligan PlowSite.com Veteran

Here's a tip that works really well for me, winter wiper blades or not,
    Go to your local auto parts store and buy a can of DRY SILICONE spray, then either remove the blades from the truck (recommended if its cold or wet out), or prop them up off the windshield make sure they are dry, and give them a good coating of the spray and allow to dry for a few minutes.
    This really helps in keeping snow and ice from building up on the blades.
    A treatment will usually last 3-4 storms.

Bill
    PS This was mentioned in a previous post, but a good coating of Rain X or similar product, on the windshield, mirrors, and headlights, works wonders on keeeping snow and ice from building up while plowing

15. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 PlowSite.com Addict

Isn't there some product out there that is supposed to be better than Rain-X??? I thought I saw a commercial a while back for something, but I for got what it was. I've tried Rain-X, and it seems to work well in heavy rain, but light rain seems to make it more difficult to see. Has anyone had good experiences with Rain-X or something similar in the snow?

16. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns PlowSite.com Veteran

We Rain-X all our trucks, especially the back window.

17. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

i use em too, and they work really well.

18. OBRYANMAINT

OBRYANMAINT PlowSite.com Veteran
    from ohio

i use them ....i replace them once a year in the fall.....

19. TRITONSNOWREM

TRITONSNOWREM Member

They're a must. Nothing like getting out of a warm truck in blizzard to bang your oem wipers on the windsheild. No thank you!!!