1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Winter what do you think

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ptllandscapeIL, Nov 10, 2007.

1. ptllandscapeIL

ptllandscapeIL Senior Member

Honestly What are you predictions for this winters forecast...there saying its gonna be warmer then normal...in the great lakes (chicagoland) its been a warm fall but late october and november have been pretty steady normal and long term looks liek normal downward trend im saying were gonna have a average winter with more thne average snow..

2. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

i think its going to keep getting colder. maybe colder than previous years but possibly not as cold as previous years. and it will probably snow. probably snow more than once. possibly less than previous winters but maybe the same or more than previous winters. may also get freezing rain, sleet, hail or possibly all of them but there is a chance we could get none of them. total precipitation might be less than previous years but could be the same or more than previous years. :nod:

3. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

You should be in politics. LOL

4. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

I'm sure it WON'T snow at all! (reverse psycology- worked a few years back) payup payup payup

5. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

I've got 2 new plows, lots of contracts, two subcontractors, lots of work, big routes

I expect it not to snow at all. :cry:

6. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

i just got my first plow and now im hoping that ill still be eaten once feb comes around. i hate the weather.

ps i need it to be sunny warm and hot during spring summer and fall for me to make money. and it was a good year so now all we need is about 5 ft of snow and ill be a happy camper.payup :cry: payup

7. Dailylc

Dailylc Senior Member

Watch what you ask for. You will hate pushing 5 ft of snow all at one time.:eek:

8. DAFFMOBILEWASH

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

Owning a buisess plowing snow is about the law of averages, right? For me its going to be a topsy tuvy winter. Two weeks warm followed by two weeks cold, the same with precip. The only thing which worries me is the amount of moisture associated with our low's. Lots of clouds not much wet stuff.

For me I find the weather will change with the moon phases, expecially on the full. Theoriticly the 24th looks good.

9. Snow Picasso

Snow Picasso Senior Member

Here's the problem.... We've had above average precip the last 2 years. You would think that would translate into decent amounts of snow. Right!!! That hasn't been the case because alot of that precip is falling in the form of rain. How many rain storms have we had in December & January the last 2 years. I remember last December 1st. We had a 10 inch snow. Then subzero temps for about 10 days. Then it warmed up and had a 2 inch rainfall! The key to our success with the snow plowing business is to have a wet pattern on the edge of a cold front. Otherwise we still get the moisture just in the form of rain. It's all about the timing of the fronts! I guess what I'm trying to say is.... Even with a warmer than average winter. You could have a ton of snow. Just as a colder winter might not produce much of anything.

10. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

I hope it doesn't snow once, I don't have to spend money on salt or labour (part time labors with no guarentee for the win++) and I collect my seasonals one cheque at a time.

I will then sit at home, play some video games, work on my house and be slighly depressed because I can't ride my snowmobile.

Next year I will complain because nobody wants to sign until the last minute thinking they wasted their money last year but I will eventually pull thru and sign a few contracts, or at the very least subcontract everything out with a minimum gaurentee.

All in all it doesn't really matter what I predict because all that matters is what happens

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2007
  11. topdj

topdj Senior Member

with my luck, buying a new truck and new plow it won't snow :(
    but thats my luck, just like when I wash my truck it rains that very day as soon as I finish.

12. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

their is no way i would push 5ft, i would try but hopefully would give up before something broke. of course i have a v-blade, :)

13. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

i mean 5 ft of snow for the year. were lucky to get a foot or 2.

14. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

I figure for us, it'll be a slightly heavier year than average. That means about 60-65".