1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

winter weight hydraulic oil?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by hellion, Dec 5, 2014.

1. hellion

hellion Member

Have taken delivery Cat 289D ctl. Does anyone have recommendations or thoughts about putting lighter weight hydraulic oil in for northern Ohio winters or is it a waste of time and money? Using loader to push a 10' kage.
  2. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Never known anyone to change the hydraulic oil just because it gets cold out. I'd run it as is if it were me. We ran a ton of Cat equipment last winter in subzero temps and never had a hydraulic problem.
  3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Keep what's in there and just warm it up
  4. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Does northern Ohio get that cold?
  5. rrvsnow

rrvsnow Junior Member

We frequently push snow on subzero temps here in northern nd, always have run factory specs on all oils, never had a problem. Just let machines warm up sufficiently before use. Pushed one night last winter with air temps of negative 31, no issues, just longer warm up times.
  6. hellion

hellion Member

I doubt it's any colder than your area. After the lake froze over last winter we did get colder than Detroit many days. I thought I seen in my Cat op manual something about using lighter weight hydro oil in very cold weather but it wasn't very specific about how cold. We ran backhoes and dozers back in the 70's and 80's and didn't worry about it and had no problems. But I know pressures and tolerances have changed since then.
  7. hellion

hellion Member

Thanks everyone for the inputs. I see a lot of you have a ton of experience and I respect your knowledge.
  8. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

In heavyequipment, I wouldn't fret about it too much. It gets pretty expensive to change your fluid unless you can cleanly reclaim what you have in the machine every time you switch the hydro fluid.

Now, in our dump with central hydro system, we use an isolated 32 oil for plowing because the only constant duty it sees is in the winter time.