1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Winter Weather Services- Latrobe, PA

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by sameakman, Oct 26, 2008.

1. sameakman

sameakman Junior Member

Subcontracted for Winter Weather Services last season and encountered a few "problems" in getting paid. They were not very "timely" in sending payment fo services rendered. Often telling me they had not yet received payment form the Mall that I plowed and would try to send something anyway. I allowed this to continue until the end of the season.
    Well, as you can probably guess they have still not paid me for the last six events of the season. I have phoned them several times and requested payment in a "nice" way. Now when I call the person I need to speak to is not available and has not returned my calls.
    I have been extremely patient but the time has come to get "nasty".
    I am now writing a Letter For Demand of Payment, then filing at the magistrates office. Anything else I should do?
    Owe me $7200.00
    Thanks for responses
  2. lumps

lumps Senior Member

Don't have any advice to give you on it, but good luck with it. Hope you don't have to deal with going to court over it.
  3. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

He probably will, sue them and take it before a judge, if you had the contract they have not a leg to stand on. Did they ever insinuate that they felt you didnt do the work or properly?
  4. sameakman

sameakman Junior Member

Never had any complaints. Actually the mall manager told me we were the best crew he had ever used. Wanted to use us again this year but I told him I would not work for Winter Weather Services again.
    He told me that if I had contracts for salt then I shoould bid the job myself.\
    Since I do not have this and could not find a company to sell me bulk salt I contacted another Snow Company and asked them to bid the job with me as the sub.
    They put the bid in and we are waiting for a reply.
  5. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

File a lien on Winter Weather Sevices.
  6. sameakman

sameakman Junior Member

I wanted to file for a lien but was told that I would have to file in the magistrates office anf when case was found in my favor, winter weather would be able to appeal and if they did not appeal and did not pay then I could file a lien.
  7. Ipushsnow

Ipushsnow Senior Member

Document EVERYTHING, times you call, what was said, etc. If you can do all contact by e-mail even better.

Send them a letter demanding payment and stating you will file suit if not paid in ____ days.

Go to the small claims court in your area and file suit. Most counties have a simple form and it costs less than $100 to do it. Once they get served the papers they will probably pay unless they want to send a lawyer or company representative to your town to deal with it.

If they fight it this is a no lose situation for you IF you have a signed contract.

If you win you can put a lien on not only them, but the mall as well! This means if they sell any vehicles or property they own YOU get payment before they do. You can garnish their back accounts, and even go so far as have their property seized and sold at auction.

Do not threaten, harrass, or be unprofessional in any way whatsoever.

I have sued twice and won both, what I said above is based on my experience.
  8. sameakman

sameakman Junior Member

Thanks for the input.

I do have a signed contract which states that payment will be made "about" 45 days from receiving invoice. I faxed all invoices the day after each snow event, so, they are "about" 105 days late.

I have been very professional with them. Even gave them the option to make payments.
    Never argued with them or made any negative comments.