1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Winter weather advisory!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by plowjockey, Sep 8, 2001.

1. plowjockey

plowjockey PlowSite.com Sponsor

I was looking at weatherbug and lo and behold there was a winter weather advisory out in Boulder Colorado.
    This is the first one that I've seen this year and it tells me that there is hope. LOL

Really, it just felt good to see those words on the screen again.

Here's hoping that we all have a good and safe plowing season this coming winter. :cool:

Bruce

2. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

They got a foot of snow in the high mountains of Idaho last week. The season's gettin' close!!

3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

And it was 90 here today. Cools off at night, though. Snow is coming!!!

4. BRIMOW525

BRIMOW525 Senior Member

snow

Please snow alot this year.... Please snow alot this year.... I don't want anything else for christmas.. but snow!! I don't know about anyone else but I would like to have alot of 4-6 inchers instead of 1 or 2 12-18 inchers. BUT ...I have to take what I get. Even if I keep the reciept! lol

5. ReliableRemoval

ReliableRemoval Junior Member
    from Poconos

Hello fellow snowplowers.

I have been plowing up here in the Pocono Mountains Pennsylvania since 1990. Every year we have had higher than normal snowfalls. 1993 broke a 100 yr. old snowfall record . Then 1994 through 1996 another record seasons sending accumulations records through the roof. The lakeside homes are the most difficult to do and I charge more. They get more snow and I have to charge accordingly. The snow and ice mgt. assoc. in Canada revised their rating system to 750 dollars from 350 dollars on a 10 x 100 driveway lake side. I plow after every storm. Use a 1999 Dodge Ram 2500 HD intercoolers on tranny and motor with Hemi-Gas Short Bed with Air lift and a Western 7 -1/2 ft. plow Western cinder spread. Diesal are fine for hauling but lacks the compression capability compared to gas for pushing snow. Recently I bid for a contract on a residential 410 ft by 12 ft driveway. They want it plowed every 4 inches within a 24 hr. period. We do high risk work where others will not. They live on a steep incline about 35 degree pitch. I contact S>I>M>A> Snow ice mgt assoc. they suggested I charge 5,125 dollars for the entire season 11/1/04 to 4/30/05. includes cinder spreading and garage door entrance cleaning. Good luck my fellow snowplowers. Remember to be safe and LET IT SNOW!

6. PSDF350

PSDF350 Senior Member

i think there are alot of guys will contest your statement about Diesils.

7. ROSELAWN

ROSELAWN Member

Diesal are fine for hauling but lacks the compression capability compared to gas for pushing snow.

Not to sound like L'il John here but.....WHAT!!! Just FYI, Diesel engines run about 19:1 compression ratios where gassers are about 8 or 9 :1. Not runnin' you down I just wanted to clear the air. Welcome to plowsite also.

8. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

Is the tranny and motor turbocharged? An intercooler is a air to air radiator that cools the intake air after the turbo.

Gas better than diesel? Pushing a heavy load(snow), is no different than pulling a heavy load. Torque is what gets the work done!!!!

9. grotecguy

grotecguy Senior Member

I find it comical that the original thread was started 3 years ago. Has been happening a lot lately.
    Just an observation,
    Mark K

10. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I've been noticing that, too. Not any one person, either.

But gas out-push diesel?? I have both. The diesel will push loads much easier than the gasser and as a result use way less fuel.

I'd be curious to learn if you win that bid.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2004
  11. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

Hey reliableremoval,
    I will put my diesel up against your gasser to see who's got the compression and power any day of the week! :nod:

12. PSDF350

PSDF350 Senior Member

told you alot of guys would take issue with that Diesil statement

13. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

Us diesel boys are like a pack of wolves. :cool:

14. PSDF350

PSDF350 Senior Member

we are aren't we. ;)

15. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Wasn't 9ftpiles or 01hummer 'from' the Pocono's? Or one of those aliases. :rolleyes:

Maybe he still hasn't grown up. :D