1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Winter survival kit RT3

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Northman, Oct 18, 2014.

1. Northman

Northman Senior Member
    from Ohio

Need ideas of common let you down things to buy for the new to me boss 7.6 straight standard duty RT3 smart hitch.

Thinking a solenoid, 1 coil fits both valves far as IPL shows.

On the electric motor I see 2 listed new version and old version. How can I tell which I have?

Should I just worry about a lift hydraulic hose or get a whole set with back up fitting etc?

I got 2 new eyebolts left over from meyer plow I think could be used in a pinch even though much longer then whats in this boss now.

Plow or carriage pins bushings etc?

Got plenty of boss fluid on hand now.

I dont figure springs will be a problem and its got 4 and shows only 3 now on new ones.

What is the difference in RT3 and RT2? IPL's look close to same.

Anything common items you folks can think of?

Thanks ahead of time.
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Not bad, also look for a complete plow side setup on CL and buy it. This way you have a spare sitting at home.
  3. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

The only thing i've ever had go bad on my 7 year old mvp is the controller. I have it serviced each year by a dealer, who is in a much better position than me yo catch something before it goes bad on me.

I just jinxed myself by saying that, of course.
  4. Northman

Northman Senior Member
    from Ohio

I got 2 controllers already on hand. Newer hand held and the original that came with it. Hopefully I can get used to this. As I used toggles since 95.

This and a back up that dont have the handle part.

5. buildinon

buildinon Senior Member

If you can't afford to have extra plows sitting around, or don't have "back up trucks / plows"...then I suggest buying extra cylinders for your plow. Last winter on New Years Eve during the height of the storm I had the seals on the bottom of my lift cylinder blow out on me. Never saw that coming. Only thing I could figure that happened was from continous use due to the Polar Vortex here in Chicago and extreme cold we had already faced that they just gave out. But at that time of night on a holiday I was up poop creek. Couldn't get a new cylinder until the next day. Luckily 1 and only 1 shop around me was open. Now I have extra ones on hand.
  6. Northman

Northman Senior Member
    from Ohio

Never thought about extra cylinders.

Now I have had a line blow and there she fell.

I know it is early but it is all testing out great while warm. Messed with it some more over the weekend.
    Fast plows indeed. Not used to that out of the ole northman and meyer I had in past.
  7. Northman

Northman Senior Member
    from Ohio

So I take it handheld controller is preferred over the mounted toggle? Taken some getting used to but works great.