1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Winter Storm Warning

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by TNT Lawncare, Jan 28, 2008.

1. TNT Lawncare

TNT Lawncare Member

My area is under a winter storm warning for tomorrow, mainly for the night time. Supposed to get 2-6 inches with winds gusting to 40mph and the low is 4 degrees. This ought to be fun. Supposed to have another snow event friday and freezing rain next monday. Next Thursday I am supposed to go to Texas for the weekend to golf so some other part of the country can have the snow so I don't have to worry the whole time I am gone.

2. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Blizzard waring her in North Iowa. I went out to clean some of the drifting but came back home till the wind dies down some. When I lost sight of the plow on the truck I decided I had enough.

3. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

is it possible for those winds to blow some snow to jersey:rolleyes:

4. Kevin Kendrick

Kevin Kendrick Senior Member

5. TNT Lawncare

TNT Lawncare Member

Nice. I hope we get it all now and this weekend and let me have my 4 days off next weekend. Until then, money money.

6. Sno4U

Sno4U Senior Member

Looks like your storm is marching its way across the country!
    Here in S.E. WI we are under a winter storm warning rite now.
    Its raining now, but temps will fall from the low 40's to the low 20's in a matter of hours w/ wind gusts to 60 mph!
    Total accumulation between 6pm now and 6pm tomorrow 1-3 inches!
    What a mess.
    Truck loaded with salt, fueled, jeep in garage next door and other truck has a pallet of salt and is fueled.
    Skid loader also got topped off this afternoon.
    We're as ready as we'll ever be!

7. TNT Lawncare

TNT Lawncare Member

As of now they are calling for 1-2 inches of blowing snow and the rain right now will freeze very quickly so it my just be a salt event, which is still nice. Takes alot less time and the money is still good.

8. jkiser96

jkiser96 Senior Member

I just checked NOAA & they are sayin around 5" for Indy ,Thursday night into Friday. I guess I will head out around 1:00am to check the lots for salting. Be careful out there payup

9. ZoomByU

ZoomByU Member

they are saying only a possible 1 inch here before midnight. I left for work at 1445 and the temp was 49 and now it is 22 crazy. Got the long johns ready in the truck ready to work.

10. TNT Lawncare

TNT Lawncare Member

Snowing here now so we will see what happens. I take care of 2 newspapers that have to be done by midnight for the carriers so I will probably be heading out around 9:30 to at least salt if not plow.

11. ECS

ECS Senior Member

We got hammered yesterday, snow, 70 mph winds, drifting up the arse.

... Snow Advisory in effect until 12 PM MST Wednesday...

The National Weather Service in Riverton has issued a Snow
    Advisory... which is in effect until 12 PM MST Wednesday.

Another round of snow will impact the Teton and Gros Ventre Range
    as well as the Togwotee Pass area today through Wednesday. Snow
    will intensify by early this evening and continue through the
    night. The snowfall will taper off during the morning Wednesday.
    By noon Wednesday expect a snowfall total of 3 to 6 inches in the
    northern portion of the valley including Moose and Moran Junction.
    2 to 3 inches of snowfall is expected across the southern portion
    of the valley including the town of Jackson.

Those planning outdoor activities today through Wednesday should
    anticipate snow and wind.

A Snow Advisory means that periods of snow will cause primarily
    travel difficulties. Be prepared for snow covered roads and
    limited visibilities... and use caution while driving.

Tonight
    Areas of blowing snow in the evening. Snow. Snow accumulation of 2 to 4 inches. Total snow accumulation 2 to 5 inches. Lows 2 to 7. Southwest winds around 15 mph early in the evening. Chance of snow near 100 percent.

Wednesday
    Breezy. Cloudy with a 50 percent chance of snow. Highs around 20. Southwest winds around 15 mph shifting to the north early in the afternoon...then shifting to the west late in the afternoon.

Wednesday Night
    Mostly cloudy with a 30 percent chance of snow. Lows 1 below to 5 below zero. Southwest winds around 15 mph until early morning. Wind chill readings 10 below to 20 below zero.

Thursday
    Mostly cloudy. Chance of snow in the morning...then snow likely in the afternoon. Snow accumulation around 2 inches. Highs around 20. Southwest winds around 15 mph. Chance of snow 70 percent. Lowest wind chill readings 14 below to 24 below zero in the morning.

Thursday Night
    Breezy. Snow likely. Snow accumulation of 3 to 4 inches. Total snow accumulation 5 to 6 inches. Lows 2 to 6. Southwest winds 15 to 25 mph. Chance of snow 70 percent.

Friday
    Breezy. Cloudy with a 50 percent chance of snow. Highs in the lower to mid 20s. Lowest wind chill readings 12 below to 22 below zero in the morning.

Friday Night
    Cloudy with a 40 percent chance of snow. Lows 3 below to 1 above zero.

Saturday
    Mostly cloudy with a 30 percent chance of snow. Highs 18 to 22.

Saturday Night
    Mostly cloudy with a 30 percent chance of snow. Lows 1 below to 3 above zero.

Sunday
    Mostly cloudy with a 30 percent chance of snow. Highs in the lower to mid 20s.

Sunday Night
    Mostly cloudy with a 30 percent chance of snow. Lows zero to 4 above.

Monday

Monday Night
    Mostly cloudy with a 30 percent chance of snow. Lows 2 to 6.
    Tuesday

12. ZoomByU

ZoomByU Member

that was fun, we only got about an inch but it was around two in some spots because of the snow drifting. We knocked everything out in 5 hours not too bad. Ready to do it again tomorrow night with the next storm coming.

13. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

blah, blah, blah ;)

We got about 2-3, I think, with 50+ MPH winds, so it's hard to tell.

Have fun and stay safe.

14. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

same here, we got from 0-6" depending on where you measured at. drifting is going to be real bad with all the wind, but luckily there are no rea tall snow banks left that allow for deep drifting.

15. Sno4U

Sno4U Senior Member

Well, the precip. missed us for the most part. Freezing rain rain-alot of salt trucks out on the highway.
    We did have a pretty windy spell and rite now its just friggin' cold! A Balmy 5* @ 4:36 in the afternoon.
    Not a good day to be fixin' stuff.:cry:

16. TNT Lawncare

TNT Lawncare Member

Well we got a couple of inches at the most and it drifted into 8 inches in some spots and none in others. God was it cold too. Money was still good. They are calling for 6-9 inches Thursday night into Friday now. Did I mention I love money?

17. clncut

clncut PlowSite.com Addict

Went out at 11 and got in a 6 this morning. Hit almost everyone, lots of drifting. Tomorrow looks good, better make sure to get a nap in sometime before all hell breaks loose. payup

TNT...how do you like the speedwing? Im thinking of getting one for my next truck.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2008
  18. TNT Lawncare

TNT Lawncare Member

While I would rather have an 810, the speedwing is the next best thing. It does save alot of time. I have an 860 that I used for a year (sold the truck, kept the plow) and this works at least as fast as that one. Money well spent in my opinion. Where are you located?

19. clncut

clncut PlowSite.com Addict

right next door, Valpo. Did you purchase the plow at Stone?

20. TNT Lawncare

TNT Lawncare Member

Sure did. Every year he puts a new one on his trucks so mine was used for a year but I still get a new warranty with it. It saved me $800 to do that so I figured what the hell. If the warranty is good, I don't care.