1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Winter Skid loader Tires?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by SGMLLC, Oct 6, 2009.

1. SGMLLC

SGMLLC Junior Member
    from MN

Wondering what the best skid loader tire is? Currently using Solid Deal tires, but heard Wolf Paws are better? Wondering if there are other similar tires, but cheaper than Wolf Paw. Don't want studs or chains.

2. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

I was quoted $ 1495 +shipping for Wolf paws & the rims look light duty. Do a search, look around a little, I think you can find snow tires for less. I came up a set up thats going to end up around between $ 12-1300 (w/ shipping) with new HD skid steer rims, if I went with a 4000 lb tractor rim, it would save about $ 200, I dont't know how the tractor rim would hold up to the skid action.

3. Brannick Group

Brannick Group Junior Member

we use ag. implement rims and put hd truck tires on them and studs. I have a used set for a 185 series loader.

4. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

This is what I use year 'round on one of the skids. The best all around tire I've found. It does very well in the snow as well, although my experience are only with the Ag tires & recaps. I feel the Wolf Paws would be a great set-up also, I would just rather avoid the extra cost & labor involved in using 2 different sets. That being said, though, I believe you can get those tires taller (more ground speed) than what I'm using. I'm fairly sure theres a few guys on here (check the HD equip. section here) that have them & put up good reviews. Whatever you choose, good luck.

DSC00941R.jpg

DSC00946R.jpg

BTW, these are the original tires & seem like they'll go well over 1000 hrs. :D

DSC00941R.jpg

DSC00946R.jpg

5. CUCV

CUCV Junior Member
    from NH

I have a couple sets of wolf paws, they are night and day difference in the snow from any other tire I have tried.
    I did see a Case dealer from somewhere in Mass at MassCon who sold a wolf paw knock off for a couple hundred less.

6. Big Snow Balls

Big Snow Balls Member

I have good luck with retreads they seem to last longer then reg tires. I think the rubber is harder.
    We usually put on a new set on all of our skid steers in late fall just before snow season. we can usualy get throu to the next season, on average 1000 to 1200 hours per year. During snow season
    we lower the psi to about 25 lbs seems to give better traction.

7. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

8. snocrete

snocrete Banned

X's 2 on this.....from personal experience I will tell you they hold up very well and turn the SS into a different machine. I currently dont own a tire SS (just tracks), but I have a sub running a set on his machine , which he bought after seeing mine and how much difference it made.

These look like a good alternative...... 6 in rim, so you could find a 7.5 or 8inch wide snow tire and be good. I think the Snow Wolf's are around 7 or 7.5 inches wide IIRC. The Snow Wolf is also slightly taller than a med frame SS tire, which in turn bumped up my old single speed S185 Bobcat almost 1.5 mph faster....which is noticable amount on a SS.