1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

winter sand froze

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by PLOWMAN45, Jan 13, 2004.

1. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

my bulk winter sand froze in my truck i guess its not winter sand anyone have any ideas besides going at with a pick shovel :gunsfiring:

2. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

Got access to a heated garage? :D :waving:

3. PLOWMAN45

YEAH my truck on fits half way in

4. EJK2352

EJK2352 Senior Member

So you don't have any access to a heated garage that you can get the whole truck inside?????? That would be the least labor intensive solution. If you absolutely can't get in a heated garage, maybe a torch on a 20lb. propane bottle would help thaw the sand. Northern tool sells them and I've seen them at local hardware stores.

Attached Files:

5. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

ask around to everyone you know with a heated garage or shop. Even ask an auto shop, tell them you just need to heat the sand up. im sure somewhere you will be able to find a garage or shop to use. Ask where you got he plow/truck/sander. You arent going to be doing mechanical work, just heateing the sand out to remove it.:D

6. HALH VT

HALH VT Senior Member
    from Vermont

Somebody near you must have some sort of heated garage, warehouse, etc. that they would let you park it in overnight. It would be worth a few bucks to you. If you have to take it out by main strength and ignorance, see if you can get hold of a pavement breaker to break up the worst of it.Should be faster than a pick. Just don't poke it through the side of the spreader!

7. TreffertLawnWrx

TreffertLawnWrx Senior Member

PLOWMAN, you could heat it up with you're breath. Should work with all the hot air you talk around here. :nod: :nod: :D :D J/K

8. PLOWMAN45

your funny tl9

9. Turfmower

Turfmower Senior Member

I did that once put a blue trap on it and put a kerosene heat in back

10. PLOWMAN45

well im chopping it up between storms half of it out :gunsfiring:

11. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

Spend $20.00 and take it to one of those 15 minute oil cahnge joints. While your getting you oil changed, your sand will warm up.:D :confused:

12. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

You probably have it out by now but if you have to carry more in the bed in the future maybe spraying it down with a gallon of chemical de-icer would help. Now, I don't know how caustic it is or if you have a bed liner, but it might work.

13. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

We would put a bag of salt on top of the sand to deice it when it gets like that...Rob

14. PLOWMAN45

Sand is finally all gone took three big chunks out bed is all clear i guess we can close this down :gunsfiring:

15. 04superduty

Glad you got it all out. :D :D

16. Henry

Henry Member

Here's a question for ya. What the hell is winter sand?

17. 04superduty

I believe it is just normal sand to spread on the roads. :D I could get you some summer sand if you like, goes for 500$ per yard. :D :D

18. PLOWMAN45

winter sand has been mixed with salt and and something called hot very good stuff about 25.00 yrd

19. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

Its kind of like winter air in your tires:eek:

20. Henry

Henry Member

I don't see what mixing salt with the sand is going to do when sand alone left in the spreader will freeze.

Will adding winter air to my tires give me better traction?