1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Winter Preperation!! Suggestions anyone??

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by Tnlk84, Sep 11, 2009.

1. Tnlk84

Tnlk84 Junior Member

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum and recently purchased a 1995 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9L 4WD. The truck runs great except for the fact that I don't have a "reverse" gear. I believe I need a reverse band but my real question is, besides a tune-up what would you guys suggest to prepare for the winter as far as plowing goes? Is there anything specific that you guys would say to replace/check as far as a 94-02 Dodge Ram goes? I have a concern though, I noticed that there is a substantial amount of water that comes out of the muffler, I dont have the belt routing around the a/c compressor so i'm wondering if that's it, is this something i should worry about? Thanks!
  2. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

I wouldnt worry about water out of muffler.. But I would think you would need reverse to plow with. Not sure it would be much fun pushing truck back after you pushed up a pile
  3. Tnlk84

Tnlk84 Junior Member

LOL yeah I know. Well I guess I was just wondering what you guys usually do to prepare for a busy season, I just want to prevent breakdowns at 3:00AM if possible.
  4. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

Have some one else do the plowing ......
  5. BigDave12768

Well first off Make sure your plow works 100% Now is a good time to do it. Its not that cold out yet. Also just make sure you truck is 100%. Thats where you start. Then there is the change the oil and such on the plow. Make sure lights and blinkers work on it. This is really all you can do. If they are going to be anchors the night of a big storm its just fate some times
  6. BigDave12768

the Converter converts harmful carbon monoxide and hydrocarbons to water vapor and carbon dioxide. thats why you got water coming out of exhaust. Plus if the air is humid.
  7. Tnlk84

Tnlk84 Junior Member

Ok cool, Thanks guys
  8. MoparPlowJockey

MoparPlowJockey Member
    from Indiana

I always take apart all my electrical connections and clean them to prevent any corrosion. Battery post, ground wire on plow, positive feed and anywhere else corrosion is an issue.
  9. Chrisxl64

Chrisxl64 Senior Member
    from CT

Check your charging system make sure all is running up to par,,,spray down battery with corrosive eater, and coat with a hi-quality post protector, fluid changes,,,decide if tires will last another year,