1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Winter Predictions

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by beherit316, Aug 28, 2003.

1. beherit316

beherit316 Banned

Winter 2003/2004

I heard from a couple of resources that the Farmers almanac is calling for a very snowy winter.I cant see where people are getting this info because the Almanac doesn't put out any predictions till after October.Anyone hear anything about out approaching Winter?

The way I see it is it is setting up to be the same pattern as last years Winter, with the jet coming down from Canada bringer cold air.The Almanac calls for cold temperatures by the end of September.Hopefully we all get hit hard again.

My area was plagued with no snow for close to 3 straight winters in a row, starting back in 97 all the way untill 2000.Hopefully we are in a pattern like late 70's,I was only a kid back then and had a small plowing business with my sears st12 garden tractor.I used to make almost $200.00 a day, that was alot of money back then and for a 9 year old.
  2. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

If im not mistaken there is a similar post to this already out there that was started last week. Yes to answer your question I bought the Almanac once again this year and it is predicting a harsh winter for our regions.

3. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

2003-2004 snowfall predictions

well anybody read the farmers alminac? opinions - predictions?

I think this might be a banner year, hopefully 70"+ last year was 56" and the weather guessers are predicting 20-35% more snow then last year woohoo, now to finish sandblasting & painting my plow:realmad:
  4. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

What about the midwest? Funny how the farmers alminacs written well before the season seem to be more accurate than the weathermen calling the stuff a couple days out :rolleyes:
  5. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

So far were looking at another big winter here in New York. They are saying that the snowfall amounts will be about the same as last year!!! Im sure everybody here remembers the presidents day blizzard. Me and Dad plowed days on in and had to use the back hoe to get most of the drivways.payup
  6. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

In my neck of NY.............We got 150 plus inches .....
    which equals $$$$$$$$$$$$ !

If the snow would start right after the BBQ......
    I WILL be happy !........................geo
  7. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

Here you go ratlover. Just for you from the Farmers Almanac. Region 9 Forecast Chicago and Southern Great Lakes.

Winter will be cold, with temperatures three degrees below normal, on average Tempuratures will be very cold much of the time from late November through January, with the coldest periods in early December, from about Christmas to New Years, and again in late January. The first half of November, and the months of February and March, will be milder, with temperatures a bit above normal. Precipitation will be slightly above normal, due to a wet February, and snowfall will be near normal. The heaviest snowfalls will occur in late November, early and late December, and mid-January.

There is your winter rundown. If anyone else wants me to post the predictions from the Almanac from their area let me know.

8. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

Ok i agree with Geo figure the BBQ is October 18th. If mother nature gives us like two days to get ready when we get home it can snow on the 21st :)

9. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Who is saying this? I watch the news and weather channel and I have not heard any mention of winter yet. Farmers Almanac? When is it published? In the summer. This means they did most of the writing last winter. Sounds up to date to me.
  10. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

11. beherit316

beherit316 Banned

Can you post my region please.I live in New Jersey.
  12. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Farmer's Almanac predictions are actually made two years ahead.
  13. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

Greater New York- New Jersey Region 2 Forecast

The first half of the winter will be exceptionally cold, and the second half will have above-normal temperatures. Except persistent cold from mid-November through early January, with other cold spells in late January and mid-Febraury. Precipitation will be normal, with near-normal snowfall. Snowy periods will occur in early December and mid- to late January. A northeaster in early March will bring heavy snow inland and mostly rain near the coast.

After wet snow in early April, spring will come quickly, with temperatures in April and May averaging about three degrees above normal.

14. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

Ok this is for my good friend ROOSTER

Central Great Plains Region 11 Forecast

Winter will bring ABOVE NORMAL snowfall. ( I hope your happy now buddy haha) Expect the snowiest periods in mid- to late November, near Thanksgiving, in mid- and late January, and in February. Watch for heavy snows in the foothills in mid-March and early April. Temperatures will be a degree or two milder than normal, on average, in the foothills and near or a bit colder than normal elsewhere. The coldest temperatures will occure in late December, with record cold possible.

Wet snow will accumulate in mid-April in Iowa and Northern Nebraska, Otherwise expect alternating periods of rain and sunshine.

15. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

I merged the two threads together, since this one was started first, it will hold the subject title.
  16. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

ok, I thought my thread disapeared:drinkup:
  17. Rooster

Rooster Member
    from Kansas

Okay Jay,

By your sayso! (LOL) I'll be ready to plow by mid Nov!

18. Lawn Lad

Lawn Lad Senior Member

I have to chuckle. We sit here reading about the winter forecast which none of us can believe. Heck, the weather man can't get 12 hours in advance of an incoming front right, what's to make one think they can forecast one or two years in advance with any type of accuracy. We want to believe it so badly that it hurts. Snow... Snow... Snow!!! I'm guilty of it too. I want to believe the forecast. Wouldn't it be great it were believable. The only way we'll know is come April we'll be able to look back and judge the winter. We'll either be heaping praise or cursing Mother Nature for whatever she bestows upon us.
  19. snowjoker

snowjoker Senior Member

I said last year that i felt there was going to be a good winter, and i was right. But that was just luck, or maybe i should ask for donations for weather forecasts.:D
  20. BRIMOW525

BRIMOW525 Senior Member

OK I did it! I started the thread that is started this time every year. Any predictions on the up coming winter for the Northeast? I don't think it'll be as bad as last season but I do think there'll be above average snow fall. PLEASE PLEASE SNOW!!