1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Winter over??

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by bergys, Feb 3, 2005.

1. bergys

bergys Junior Member
    from nj

I guess winter is over because I see nothing but warm tempertures coming this way for awhile. What do you think of that??? :confused:

2. Mowerpan

Mowerpan Senior Member

Same is happening here, snow is melting, weathers warmer. I want summer to come but then again winter needs to be a little longer. I want more snow.

3. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

No its not over, theres prob 5 or 6 more events left in this winter, dont worry theres about 45 more days left......Rob

4. bowtie_guy

bowtie_guy Senior Member

It's real warm out. Right now it's 1 degree celcius out. Gonna be warm the next little while by the looks of the weather network. Gonna prob take the plow off tomorrow till it looks like snow is on it's way.

5. Young Pup

Young Pup PlowSite Fanatic

I am going out on a limb here. Keep an eye out for Presidents Day weekend. Could we get a storm? We will see.

6. gt_racer50

gt_racer50 Senior Member
    from Ohio

If you have any faith in Accuweather, the 15 day forcast looks promising, we'll see. They seem to be about as good as any of them. Even Jym Gahnall, ha!

7. snowinjoe

snowinjoe Senior Member

Tonight Cloudy periods. Clearing near midnight. Fog patches developing this evening. Low minus 5.
    Friday Sunny with cloudy periods. Fog patches dissipating early in the morning. Wind becoming south 20 km/h late in the morning. High plus 3. Saturday Sunny. Low minus 4. High plus 2.
    Sunday Sunny. Low minus 2. High plus 8.
    Monday Cloudy with 60 percent chance of flurries or rain showers. Low minus 8. High plus 3

Its gonna get better I hope!!!!!!!!! If not then me and mamma nature got some business to take care of :gunsfiring:

8. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

No, I don't think it's over although it is supposed to be fairly nice for the next week or so. But look out for the last half of February and March. My wife told me this morning she thinks we'll get lots of snow up into May. The problem is that snow in March or later tends to be wet and heavy. Plus we usually get one or two snowfalls in March of 12" to 14" of wet cement.

I hope it's not over, anyway. We've only gotten 35" of our annual average of 79.5". Unless we get a lot of rain in Spring, we could be in a world of hurt without the melting snowcover.

9. johntwist

johntwist Senior Member

You never know what lies around the corner during the winter in New England. We just set a record for the most snowfall ever during January in the Boston area since they began keeping track, so I can't complain. Seems like we're in a calm period now, 40's predicted for most of next week.
    But, that doesn't mean that the week after that it won't snow like all get out.
    Since we once got 2 feet on April Fool's Day, I'm not counting winter out just yet, there's still a long way to go.
    It's actually working out good for me, I've been sick as anything this past week, just starting to get over it now. I'm glad I didn't have to plow.
    As of next week, bring on more snow, I'm ready!

10. DodgeBlizzard

DodgeBlizzard Senior Member

Being from central Pa I just have to resort to what Punxsutawney Phil told the world. Six more weeks of winter yet to go. Let's hope we get snow along with it.

11. Young Pup

Young Pup PlowSite Fanatic

LoL. :) Are you going to accuweather.com to get these reports? I may have missed something but I thought I saw just one day with a chance is that right? If so I will take that chance.

JP

12. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

I don't know about out east but here in the midwest our biggest storm sometimes come in February and March. lots more moisture levels to work with in these months since the temps are generally in the low 30's.

13. Derrick in NJ

Derrick in NJ Member

Just think of it as "the calm before the storm"! :) 9day trend shows temps falling off late next week. This just gives the big piles we made a couple of weeks ago to melt, so we have somewhere to pile the fresh snowfall :D . Just mother nature helping us out a little is the way I look at it.

14. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Winter Over-April 15
    Hopfully going on a golf trip April 17.
    We have been going to a State Park in West Virgina for the past 3 years. The place is called Cacapon State Park. I might need a weather update as the time gets closer if anyone is in the area.

15. winterangel

winterangel Member
    from Ohio

I'm not ready to put the plow away. Wants somemore of that snow before I see the green grass and dirt.
    Give me till the end of march and I'll be ready for the next season.

Mama nature better behave and let old man winter hang around alittle longer :nod:

16. lawnboy11

lawnboy11 Senior Member

Whut chew talkin' 'bout Willis?

It's snowing right now on LI (hooray new TV!) and in Jersey depending on where you are. You obviously forgot to knock on wood, which is good for us!

17. Snow Encrusted

Snow Encrusted Member

IT Just got started!! L.I. area Feb is king,March ain't bad either. :cool: :bluebounc

18. salt shaker

salt shaker Member

I would have to agree!

Robhollar
    I would have to agree. Our area usually receives anywhere from 21-27 events a year. The way this year has gone, don't let your guard down! :nono: I remember gathering sap during maple syrup season in two feet of fresh snow. Let's face it the lake has not been quiet all season. I don't believe it will sleep all winter. Any idea what your snow fall total has been for this year? Our crews write down the amount of snow they plow during each event, I would be curious as to how they compare.

19. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

Hey Ill be outside in the hottub, sombody call me when its time to go back to work would ya????Rob

20. SIPLOWGUY

SIPLOWGUY Senior Member

Sorry to say but our groundhog here in Staten Island has proved your guy wrong the last few years. Spring is around the corner.