1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Winter may be coming

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mdb landscaping, Dec 11, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

heard three forecasts tonight, and all the weatherman said that the high over greenland is shifting, and by next week, we will be in the snowy cold pattern that should set us up for the winter season and snow. hope they are right.

2. OBRYANMAINT

OBRYANMAINT PlowSite.com Veteran
    from ohio

farmers almanac syas about the same

3. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I heard the same thing on Channel 6 tonight. Hope that it happens soon.

4. thelawnguy

thelawnguy PlowSite.com Addict

As long as Ive been alive, winter's always shown up sooner or later...

Get those seasonal pay accounts signed up then you can learn to relax and enjoy the winter instead of praying for snow all day.

5. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

What about the enjoyment of plowing? "What?" you say. Yes I still enjoy going out and plowing. Especially the first storm. That is why I look forward to the winter.

6. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

CT18
    You better at least enjoy, cause we know you dont make money at it, right Bill.HAHA
    Dino

7. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I enjoy it and in the middle of winter it allows me to vacation in Mexico. HAHA :D Why can I do this? Because I have excellent employees, customers, trucks and equipment and I know I won't have problems when I am gone. Don't worry about me. I am doing fine. hahahaha

8. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Wait a minute, you arent making any sense. IF you enjoy plowing so much, why would you leave in the middl eof winter and miss out on any snowstorms. Maybe you dont like so much afterall.
    Dino

9. thelawnguy

I'd much prefer to rake in the dough watching the thermometer reach the 40s all winter, snow change quickly to rain, etc all while enjoying evenings with family, friends, and my equipment staying fresh than making the same by being out every other night watching my new $40k truck quickly being converted back into its elemental form.

But once a month is good, just to stay on top of my form...

10. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I do love plowing but I love my wife more. :D I think I make perfect sense. I also like working outside in the summer but that does not mean my house is not air conditioned. I enjoy my work that does not mean I do not want a break from it. Why do you guys plow if you don't like it at all? There are easier ways to make money. You should enjoy the work you do at least a little.

11. thelawnguy

I re-read this thread twice, and nowhere did I ever get the impression from anyone's post that they did not like plowing snow.

I think I told you before, in the "cant make a living plowing so I need a winter job" thread, Work Smarter not Harder. Thats where seasonal pay contracts, straight salt, etc come into play.

So you thick-skulled know-it-all young'ins don't forget I'm going to put it in my sig line.

12. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

Bill, what did you get for a new truck?

Geoff

13. PINEISLAND1

PINEISLAND1 PlowSite.com Veteran

Hmmm...

Now I wonder- How old are you Bill?

14. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

You guys are like riddles. I do work smart and thus I can go to Mexico in the winter.

You and Dino implied that I did not like plowing because I take a break from it or that because I actually like plowing I am weird and instead I should just wish to sit inside and rake in the dough. That was what is incorrect. Everyone takes vacations and yes I like plowing and beleive it or not it makes me money. You talking in circles is not going to change that.

I don't think age has anything to do with success. After all Bill you are the guy with one truck. If I wanted to measure success I could say that I have 4 trucks all paid for and all relatively new. I don't mean to get into a competition here. You have your ideas of business, I have mine. I am more than comfortable in my life right now. Guess what? I work smart BUT I also don't shy away from hard work! That is how I am successful.

15. mdb landscaping

yeh, so the purpose of this thread was to get you guys siked up for winter. play nice now....

16. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

MDB I know you must be pumped to be able to get out and use that nice new rig of yours?

17. mdb landscaping

i got to use it last weekend. got about 2 inches. but i want to put her through the paces with a good 6-8 inch storm.

18. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

But then you will be working. The seniors in this world (plowsite) tell us youngins that we should not work hard but sit inside instead.

Funny the complaint I always here about American youth is that they are lazy. I don't know to many lazy young people on this site. Most are motivated and excited about growing their business.

Then again I do not consider my self to be that much of a youngin. Instead I am a businessman supporting a growing family and enjoying my life.

19. thelawnguy

I didnt. At least not recently. I have had the experience of watching my Dodge, by virtue of 7 years of salt exposure, being slowly reduced to a rolling hulk of iron oxide lol. And every vehicle out there will experience the same fate, sooner or later.

"The seniors in this world (plowsite) tell us youngins that we should not work hard but sit inside instead. "

Nobody said anything about not working hard when its required. Just no point in busting your hump if the same can be accomplished by more cerebral (seasonal contract) means.

"After all Bill you are the guy with one truck."

Its not what you gross, its what you net. Other guys, whether one truck or a hundred, with or without subs, will vouch for the same.

"Then again I do not consider my self to be that much of a youngin. "

I had the experience of speaking with both yourself and your truckmate Bryan (snow) at the BBQ. If I had my eyes closed it would been difficult to tell who had the 9 years seniority. :rolleyes:

20. sgreanbean

sgreanbean Junior Member

hey, new gut here

im young (30) and have a family, 5 trucks, 87', 91', 96', 2 01's,
    brand spankin new bobcat skidloader thats painted red, white and blue from the factory. I LOVE TO PLOW.
    Ilove the mone, the late nights out on the streets were the cops get out of your way!
    but,
    I NEED IT TO SNOW NOW!

please!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.