1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Winter isnt over yet!!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Italiano67, Mar 17, 2005.

1. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

Looks like everbody in my neck of the woods will be busy this weekend! 6-10 inches is in the forecast starting early tomorrow.kind of looking forward to going out. It has been a while since we had a good one come thru. :nod:

2. Peopleeater

Peopleeater Senior Member

I saw cent. wisconsin was going to get hit with a big one. I wish it would slide a little to the south so we could have a another plow event. Had something yesterday, but was just a little warm to stick to roads. I have been saying that I am going to put plow away, then we had that freak little storm. It snowed yesterday morn,and all day yesterday, but only the grassy surfaces got snow. A friend had 3-4 at his house, but awsn't sticking to pavement either. The whole storm was only 40 miles or so wide, withabout 10-15 miles wide of a good snow. They weren't calling for anything that I noticed.

If Madison get hit too, I would be williing to travel up there if anyone needs help, depending on when it hits, etc. I don't work normal job in winter, but have babysitting duties. He would probably have to ride along, which is what he wants anyhow.

Jeff

3. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

I see from your pic you are into hauling. I am a quad axle owner/operator. Are you guys getting ready to start trucking soon? I expect our start call any day. I have a 1997 Kenworth T800 with a R/S aluminum box and the Cat 3406E. Anxious for spring, how about yourself? P.S. Snow is slow getting here, supposed to start by 2:00 PM today, 5-10 inches.

4. Peopleeater

Im waiting on plates

Im waiting on plates. Finally got the renewal bill after playing mail tag with the state. Now I just have to mail check out, and figure out where I am coming up with the rest of the 4000.00. I ran 95% IL for this bill, (work out of Rockford, IL). How much is a WI base plate or apportioned if majority in WI? I worked 2 days this winter, and blew a head gasket, by the time it was fixed, that short term work was done. But we got a be ready call for next week, supposed to be busy? Broker going out of town and lining as many peopleup as possible. I am on the do not call list til i get my plate.

Yeah, I can't wait to get back out. Been sitting in the house all winter for lack of snow, and the lack of money that goes with it. All rested up for another season though.

I saw an ad for Hribar Bros. trucking. Just looked at it before I logged on here, and called about it, but never got a call back as he was on another call. I was wondering if you knew anything about them?

I may quit trucking if I follow through with yet another career change this fall? Thinking of going into Home Inspection, and there is a school in Waukesha, WI. Fuel prices are getting outrageous. Was 2.31 tonight a buddy told me down there in rockford. We get a fuel surcharge, but from the way it was last year, it still stung a bit. I would imagine it will be worse this year.

Jeff

5. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

I am not sure what the apportioned plate is all about about, but I pay 342.50 a quarter for my 73000 lbs plate. The only thing I am aware of with the name Hribar is the truck salvage/ parts co. It's possible they have a trucking branch tho. The price of fuel will take out all of the fun out of working this summer as fuel is at 2.32 and just north of here it is at 2.35 and rising. We probably will get a raise but it wont even cover the increase in fuel not to mention everything else thats gone up. Its a classic story of wearing the machinery out and not having anything at the end to show for it.! :help:

6. schnitz

schnitz Member

Still snowing in Wausau & surrounding areas. We moved about 6-7" by shovel (remember the truck wreck) tonight & I gotta work at 5... 'till 1. Just to start over. I've had almost enough winter.... :rolleyes:

Later, Chet.

7. Peopleeater

Doesn't sound like fun at all. Depending on how much work you have, I may be able to help you, but you may have it all shoveled by the time I could make it. Let me know, we seem to never get snow here and could use a buck or two.

Jeff

8. schnitz

schnitz Member

I got done at work early and checked out the (what I thought would be) worst accounts on the way home. Not bad really. Less than 2" on those. I almost expected more the way it was snowing earlier. At least they are not commercial accounts. Thanks for the help offer. I think I'd be done before you could make it here. I can see, though, that I got to get better equipment (newer truck, good snowblower, etc, etc) to make a real go at snowplowing. Not to mention a back-up driver w/ own truck.

Thanks, Chet.

9. Peopleeater

Thank god for them only being driveways. The thought I had was you out shoveling a small lot! Sorry, but if I were to see that I would have to laugh. Glad to see you got it taken care of. How much snow did you get up there? Was thinking of heading up that way tomorrow to do a little ATVing, but now with the snow, I think I may just skip it, or stay down this way.

We were right on te rain/snow line. I was hoping it would slide a little ways south. We have no snow now due to the rain last night, now everything looks brown and dead again. Oh well, soon enough it'll all be green.

Jeff

10. Team_Yamaha

Team_Yamaha Senior Member

We got 15-18" of really wet heavy snow yesterday and this morning. I just got back in to eat lunch, relax for 20-30 mins. and go back out to plow some more. We started plowing businesses yesterday at 11 am and quite at about 10:30pm then started plowing bus. and res. this morning at 4:30 and its kinda looking like we won't be done until 5-7 tonight.

Yesterday I got a call from my girlfriend saying that she was snowed in at work and the company that plows for them had one truck get into an accident and the other breakdown. So I endedup taking over the lot at her work and also 3 other lots that her employer owns. :nod: I guess that the low baller bidder just wasn't quite up to it....

11. schnitz

schnitz Member

Jeff, We wound up with about 8"+- 2" depending on how the trees blocked it. You know though, even withall the shovelling, all I see is green... generated of course by that white gold! payup BTW, if you do decide to cruise up, shoot me a pm and I'll meet you for coffee or something a little colder from a local establishment.

Team, you gotta be from around the Wisconsin Rapids- Plover area with that kind of snow. This is one time I'm glad I'm not based further south.

Later, Chet.