1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Winter Forecast for 2010 - 2011

Discussion in 'Weather' started by PGHplowguy, Aug 2, 2010.

1. PGHplowguy

PGHplowguy Senior Member

Hi all. Does anybody know where to find weather/snow amount predictions for the upcoming winter on-line? I have found a few very vague predictions here and there, but nothing to feel good about. Also, a weather site that in your opinion served you well last year during the winter. I found that weatherunderground.com was the most accurate of all weather sites, even the biggest ones. Thanks for the info.

2. FISHERBOY

FISHERBOY Senior Member

Accu weather.com long range forcaster Joe bastardi will be out tommorrow with his winter forecast, all i can say is the places that got hit the hardest last season ,will not get hit hard this season. For snow fall totals i hav been using weather works.com

3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

It's going to snow sometime between Nov and April .

4. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

No November and may!

5. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

around here it is more like october to april

6. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

We get flurries in late October but I don't believe we've eer gotten anything significant in my 14 years in MI...

7. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

last year, we got about 20 inches, then it turned nice again, I am hoping we get a really great year this year, i am pumped going to look at some new equipment, another loader, and some new contracts, looking forward to a great year

8. PGHplowguy

PGHplowguy Senior Member

Thanks Fisherboy, the only one who wrote anything meaningful. Seems like most of the posts on here are for people to get their post #'s up. I looked into it a bit more. Last year Pittsburgh got hit real hard, the year before we had 45 inches. This year is supposed to be around 40 ish...

9. towpro570

towpro570 Senior Member

accu weather 's 2011 winter out look released today :nod:

10. Premier

Premier Senior Member

Yup and it looks great for us in the midwest. Time to make some money!! payup

11. CSC Contracting

CSC Contracting Senior Member

Overall, AccuWeather.com Chief Long-Range Meteorologist Joe Bastardi is predicting that the worst of winter's cold and snow will be from the Pacific Northwest into the northern Plains and western Great Lakes. That will put cities like Portland and Seattle that escaped with a very nice winter last year, colder and snowier this year. Fargo and Minneapolis to Green Bay will also receive above-normal winter snowfall.

Other cities predicted to receive above-normal winter snowfall include Chicago, Omaha, Minneapolis, Detroit, Cleveland, Seattle and Portland.

12. Kramer

Kramer Senior Member

There seems to be a la nina lined up. Everytime that happens my area gets a ton of 4" storms--seems like once a week it snows...cant wait now--and its still 90 degrees out.

13. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Sounds like I may have to plow all 25 times I figured on in my contracts

14. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

You got your crazy answers because there is no prediction that is accurate. You might get the worst winter in 100 years and 50 miles down the road might not see much at all. These guys can tell you 24 hours in advance there's 10" coming and when the next day rolls around there isn't a flake.

In this business you prepare for the worst and anything else is a bonus.

Good Luck

Last edited: Aug 3, 2010
  15. FISHERBOY

FISHERBOY Senior Member

Joe Bastardi is very accurate he called last winter in july of 09, he also said it was going to be a very warm summer in the northeast back in february of this year, his record speaks for itself, i'm a firm believer in him