1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

winter clothing/ what works best?

Discussion in 'ATV / UTV Snow Removal' started by traildogg, Nov 20, 2009.

1. traildogg

traildogg Junior Member

Hi, just got my new plow set up installed on my rincon 650 atv its a 54'' warn cyclone blade with quadraxx 3600lb winch everything is mounted and ready to go just waiting fo the snow:) my question is regarding clothing what works best to stay dry and warm i dont want to get too wet while plowing how many layers of clothing do you guys use pants gloves scarfs jackets etc...
  2. SuperdutyShane

SuperdutyShane PlowSite.com Addict

Sweatpants and a t...

Usually I wear my Carhatt jacket, regular jeans, and a sweatshirt underneath the Carhatt.

IPLOWSNO PlowSite.com Addict

i wear a fall style carhart but i have a roof and windshield too and underoos
  4. mycirus

mycirus Senior Member
    from Mass

I usually just wear jeans and a long sleeve shirt. If I get too hot I just turn off the heated seat.....Oh wait what....oh nevermind....Ha ha.
  5. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

6. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

Carhartt jacket, insulated over alls, pants, sweat shirt, t shirt, wool socks. Ranger boots the red ones with yellow on the toe. If you can't tell I wear only Carhartt.:D
  7. 06Sierra

06Sierra PlowSite.com Addict
    from Maine

I have some Rocky pac boots rated to -140, ski pants I don't remembe the brand, Columbia 3 in 1 jacket, helmet and some goretex snowmobile gloves with a removeable fleece liner. I'm usually hot in that with jeans and a t-shirt on under it.

Number of layers depends on what the outside layer is and how cold it is outside. Look for stuff that is wind and water proof for the outside layer. If it is real cold out and you are going to wear long johns, find some that are moisture wicking.
  8. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

I've found that if you wear a thin rubber rain suit that you don't need as many layers on under them. They retain a lot of your heat since wind can't cut through them. In some cases you will sweat with minimal layers.
  9. nixray

nixray Senior Member

10. 06Sierra

06Sierra PlowSite.com Addict
    from Maine

Check out 5.11 tactical. They don't have as big of a selection as underarmor. If all you want is something to keep the moistture away, 5.11 is a little cheaper priced and works just as good.
  11. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

*****, I didn't need that vision in my head! :realmad:

Any outer clothing for snowmobiling will keep you dry & warm, especially if your moving around quite a bit while plowing.
  12. mzgloves20

mzgloves20 Member

Ditto...The U/A stuff is the bomb. Cold gear is what its called under their branding. Works great, no bulk. Last year my face was the biggest concern at the airport...brrr.... Nuthin like the breeze from a 737...:)
  13. Deco

Deco Senior Member

it's been a while , but like you say many layers . do you stay local or away from your headquarters ?
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2009
  14. HotRod55

HotRod55 Junior Member

15. fms

fms Senior Member
    from Maine

Light weight, wicking first layer. Second layer based on temperature and wind. Light, waterproof outer layer with a good hood. Waterproof boots. Light weight gloves.
  16. traildogg

traildogg Junior Member

thanx for al the replies, layers of clothing is the popular way to dress and some nice ski pants... time to go a shoppin :nod: