1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Winter Carbides

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by plowin-fire, Nov 7, 2011.

1. plowin-fire

plowin-fire Senior Member

Read about some guys putting winter carbides on the wings on an 810? Wonder if someone can explain a bit more on this topic? My edges are about half and wondering if you add these to existing edges or new ones upon replacement.
    Thanks.

2. Maclawnco

Maclawnco Senior Member
    from OH

they go on new wing edges. I had good luck until my last set of edges where the main edge was wearing faster than the wing edges and would ride on the wing edges and not scrape clean. Not sure if we are going to go back to the winter edges or not after this.

3. maelawncare

maelawncare Senior Member

Same thing is happening to me. My edges last me almost 2 seasons, but I have noticed more wear in the wing slides, since most the plow is riding on the wings. I havent decided if I want to go no carbides or put some carbides on the main edge yet.

4. plowin-fire

plowin-fire Senior Member

Maybe I will just double up the edges when I get the new one....

5. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

Weld em on the existing edges. Love mine 3 years still going strong.

6. Maclawnco

Maclawnco Senior Member
    from OH

just pulled mine off my newest 810. I can get them to Jerry's if someone wants to give me $50 for the set. Hardly used.

7. maelawncare

Why did you pull them off?

8. Maclawnco

Maclawnco Senior Member
    from OH

the main edge is worn a solid 1/2" more than the wing edges. It was scraping terribly.

9. hlntoiz

hlntoiz Senior Member
    from NW, CT

I have done that, Winter Edges are better

Same here

Interesting :rolleyes:

10. maelawncare

Thats exactly what I am experience on both of mine. The main edge wears faster than the wings. Then the wings wind up taking most the weight as they are wore down as far.

11. fci

fci Senior Member

I weld them on and mine have been wearing fine. Is there something wrong with your wings maybe they are loose or the plow angle could be tilted back and not riding on the wings like when you see a push box with the rubber edge worn down . Unsure how the center can wear a 1/2 inch more than the wings if the center is not hitting the ground.

12. fastjohnny

fastjohnny Senior Member

Different conditions, different wear patterns...lots of factors including speed, running wings in scoop, etc. I've had main edges wear faster as well, using the winter carbides and plan to add a center winter edge to equalize wear on wings/main edges.

13. nathanlacourse

nathanlacourse Member

was going through 2 to 3 edges a year put carbide edges on and have gone through one edge in two year with a ton of plowing all blacktop love them and still scrape great

14. maelawncare

I just got a new set of edges with carbides on the wings. I think im going to add 2' of my old edge and weld it onto the new main. See what that does.