1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Winter Boots

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by RONK, Oct 2, 2011.

1. RONK

RONK Senior Member
    from NJ

I know many of you plow in work boots,sneakers,etc,I'm looking for winter boots since I'm out in the snow shoveling,any suggestions please?Thanks.
  2. LUCKY 7

LUCKY 7 Senior Member

Muck Boots- Artic model. They are great!
  3. PhilFromErie

PhilFromErie Senior Member

2nd on the Muck Arctic
  4. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

5. Landcare - Mont

Landcare - Mont Senior Member

How come you like steel toes in your winter boots? You're not supposed to drop the plow unless you're in the truck.
  6. Lucfw

Lucfw Senior Member
    from Ontario

lol i found that funny...

I also wear my steel toe boots all the time... unless i will be shoveling alot. then i wear winter boots... witch i still have to get.
  7. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Do they run true to size? And are they waterproof all the way to the top of the boot?
  8. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

If you ever have to get out and work on some thing or any thing like that it's nice to have. They are also good for cutting wood.
  9. LUCKY 7

LUCKY 7 Senior Member

Yeah the size was the same as I normally wear. Totally waterproof until it comes over the top. Really slick on and off too. The top hugs leg when up, when you want to take off- the top rolls down to the ankle and they slip right off.
  10. 496 BB

496 BB Senior Member

I wear Redwing boots. Steel toe also since they keep their shape. They are water proof also along with insulated. They are comfortable and some models you can have a re-sole done on them. Easy to keep water proof by using mink oil once or twice a year. They are nice but they are not cheap. Just bought another pair two weeks ago and they were $200.
  11. ratherbfishin

ratherbfishin Senior Member

BONUS...some are actually still AMERICAN made!
  12. ratherbfishin

Oh ya...I also wear them exclusively! They are simply awesome;waterproof,very warm,and very comfortable.I have a big wide foot.No problem finding a size to fit.
  13. 496 BB

496 BB Senior Member

Yep and the people that work there know boots like Al Bundy knows womens shoes
  14. ratherbfishin

Well put man! You hit the nail on the head....true professionals!
  15. kevlars

kevlars Senior Member

I wear Northerner insulated rubber boots. Not too much insulation to make your feet sweat, but, enough when you have to get out and shovel.

16. JCPM

JCPM Senior Member
    from CT

Timberland Sno Pros with the composite toe. Stays warmer than the steel toe
  17. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

18. RONK

RONK Senior Member
    from NJ

Thanks guys,I am looking for a dedicated winter boot either rubber or a pac boot.The Muck boots seem like a good posibility.
  19. s. donato

s. donato Senior Member

I wear the redwing loggers for the winter. Work out really nice and very dry. Also steel toe. Redwing is pretty much all i wear anymore. I am convinced that they are saving my feet and knees by wearing them daily. I have 4 pairs with various insulation levels for through out the year. I injured my knee this year and when i wear my boots i have no issues but if i wear sneakers or some old shoe with little to know support my knee kills me. All i am trying to say is make sure you wear good shoes/boots all the time.

If i am going to be shoveling i just clear a path so i am not standing in snow while shoveling. So why would you need so much water proofing? I know eventually any leather will get saturated but hasnt happened to me yet with what i do. Ymmv i do have knee high water boots like the utility companies wear but havent needed them while shoveling. I bought them for when i used to snow blow but they were so dam warm beeing all rubber that i couldnt stand them. Then i bought a pair of catapiller alaska boots for winter and used them for 5 years no issues. Just replaced them last year with redwing insulated loggers and havent looked back.
  20. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

Find a military surplus dealer that carries the ORIGINAL Mickey Mouse boot---your feet will love you.