1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Winnipeg Snow Plow Regulations

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by EasylyConfused, Dec 3, 2005.

1. EasylyConfused

EasylyConfused Junior Member

Here in Winnipeg Manitoba, it is illegal to drive a truck with a plow on it, on the road if the blade is wider than the truck during transportation, and if the blade sticks out more than 1 meter from the front of the truck. So to transport the blade it must be fully angled, and narrower than the tires, then the blade must not angle out so much that the leading edge is more than a meter from the front of the truck. They also check the FGVRW. I was told that the police pull over everyone they catch with a plow on their truck for inspection. Apparently they will measure it right there and send you to a weigh scale immediatly. To be weighed as is! Does anyone else have regulations like this? I understand the weight one, but the width and distance in front of the truck puzzle me. Don't most plows stick out furthur than 1 Meter when fully angled? And who owns a plow that is narrow then their vehicle when fully angled? The weight restriction makes sense, but does anyone live where they actually check before you get into an accident? I was told the fine can be as much as $1500.00 and they will not let you take the truck off the lot until it is fixed.
  2. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

sounds like someone is pulling your leg. There are probably some sort of regulations in place governing snowplows, but as a former police officer, I can tell you that when it snows the police have no free time to harass plow operators, because they are all busy at accidents where nitwit soccer moms crashed their speeding SUV. If you ever listen to a police scanner you will hear one accident after another. Another thing, when the roads are bad most police officers want to limit the amount of time they are out of the car, creating a dangerous situation by stopping vehicles on slippery roads, usually with less shoulder due to snow, and less visibility. I would only pull over the absolute worst violators in the snow, and often none at all. And as for the day after, when snowplowers are still out police are still real busy. So, I would think that unless you have the worst cops in the world, or you drive around for weeks after creating a hazard with a giant highway plow on a pickup, they are going to leave you alone. There is just too much going on for the cops to bother you, unless you really tick them off. It was my experience that most local cops didn't pay any attention to truck/DOT laws or violations, because they felt that was the responsibility of the highway enforcement DOT cops, what I call "truck troopers". I don't even know a cop outside of DOT who could tell you what front axle GVWR is. That being said, it is a good idea to familiarize yourself with the actual written regs, not word-of-mouth, so that if you are involved in an accident and the cops do take a look at you, you wont be in violation.
    I don't know of any plows that are manufactured to be narrower than the vehicle, or less than a meter in front. Legal width limit here is 8 feet, so technically a 9 footer is illegal unless angled, but during a snow event those things tend to get overlooked.
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2005
  3. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

See if the Government has a web site with the reg's on it. I am with the guy above. Unless your driving like a fool or obviously an unsafe vehicle the Police will not even notice you. Even on slow crime nights they have better things to do then harass snow plow's. I ask questions with a Traffic Sargent I know in my City and he can't tell me what the reg's are and he doesn't care either!
  4. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

if they go after my truck because the front axle is overweight, then they will have to go after the city and couty trucks. they are over weight by a couple a thousand pounds.
  5. EasylyConfused

I do feel Winnipeg has the worst police force in Canada. We are the Crime Capital of Canada. Does the police force recieve the money from their tickets? I would believe that is their motive in pulling over plow trucks, The fines are so rediculusly high! I stopped in a police office just down the road from my house to ask about the regulations on plows, and a constable told me right there. He also referred me to the vehicle inspection unit downtown. I don't doubt they were exagerating, but even sno-way warned me when I went shopping for a plow to watch out because chances are I will be checked.

Our police force have redicuculus ways of doing things. If you ever come to Winnipeg, don't bother paying for your gas. I work at my parents two gas stations, which is the reason I'm buying a plow, to clear their lots, and we have about 10 Drive offs ever week at each stations. We can have a video of you pumping gas, hopping in your truck and leaving. If the plate on the truck matches the vehicle, then the worst they will do is tell you to come back and pay for your gas, we cannot press charges. However most of the time, they wont even look for the plate. And if the driver is Male, and the vehicle is licensed to a female, they won't go after the vehicle at all, because they can't prove who drove off with the fuel. even though whe have them on camera, it's not substantial evidence apparently. And if you have foreign plates, your just too much trouble to go after. The excuse we always get is that they are too busy. However the overly busy police force has had no problem pulling me over for driving late at night (about 6 times now). What is going to happen when I'm driving around late at night with a plow? I'm a young male driving around at 1 or 2 in the morning. The times I have been pulled over they have never had a reason besides checking to make sure I haven't been drinking, which is understandable, but they usually keep me like 30-45 minutes. Does it take that long to run my plates and check my license and regestration, and only one office that pulled me over has ever been plesant. I always feel like they are having a laugh at my picture on my license back in their car.
  6. Allsnow

Allsnow Junior Member

Police Checks in Winnipeg

Easyly Confused,
    In the 10 years I've plowing in Winnipeg I have been spot checked and scaled a few times by the city police.I've never had any measurements taken or even discussed.The concerns are properly registered trailers and any overloading on the trucks axle ratings.(condition and ratings of tires are checked)
    I don't have a problem with there concerns on safety issues.When you're out during a snow cleanup it's unreal how much crap you see driving on the road.
    -trucks pulling bob/cats on undersized and under registered trailers some without proper lighting and brakes.
    -1/2 tons and 3/4 tons with plows weighting 700-900lbs.All exceeding the front axle rating.
    -there is also a concern with unlicensed drivers.
    Anybody getting into the snow clearing business should be prepared to do so with safe and functioning equipment.If you can't afford the right equipment leave it to the people who can.
  7. EasylyConfused

What do you use to plow with? I'm just curious, I've never talked to anyone with real experience here! Have you ever herd of the fines they hand out? I'm just putting a cheap Snowbear blade on my truck from Costco, it only weighs something like 270lbs, I have an 98 F-150. I plan on having it weighed before I drive it anywhere. I was told with Ballast I should be well within the trucks weight limits. Have you any experience with my type of truck? I'm not going to be doing any "real" snowplowing, just opening up our gas stations, and using it to clean up the lots now and then. I'm in University and that is my first concern. We still have a guy with a loader do the majority of the work. Also, what type of lighting do you have on your plows? Is it true that a rotating beacon is not necessary? Thanks for the assistance!!!!
  8. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

all city ,county and state trucks are exempt from weight restrictions. Have you ever seen a gov plate with the weight on it?