1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Wings

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by sschario, Feb 2, 2003.

1. sschario

sschario Member

Sorry if I am covering old ground. I have read a ton of "wing" threads, but I am still confused.

It looks like the Turkey Wings can only be used with the plow straight, right? So in a parking lot, you do everything straight or do you take them off to windrow? Does it depend on the depth of snow?

It seems like the Pro Wings would allow you to windrow, while still helping to contain the trail. Or do you take the downstream wing off to windrow?

Thanks,
    Steve

2. wyldman

wyldman Member

You pretty much answered your own questions.

The turk-key wings can be easily removed for windrowing,but they don't have to be if the snow is light.As they are 90 degress to the moldboard they don't spill as much,but don't increase the width of the blade.They come off very easily.

The pro-wings,only angle out slightly from the blade and do add width.They can be left on for windrowing,and actually help in the process.They will spill some during clean-up,but the added blade width will make up for it.

For general use,I think the pro-wings may be more productive,unless you do a lot of straight blading and want no spillage.

3. speedracer241

speedracer241 Senior Member

I installed a set of Pro Wings this fall. They work great windrowing with them on, didn't see a difference at all. They held the spill-off to a minimum. They work great cleaning up the little bit of trail-off at the end of a run.
    The rubber edge works well for cleaning right up against parking curbs, bet they would work great with a U edge,too.

All in all a good purchase in my opinion,
    Mark K

4. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

I replaced the rubber on my Pro Wing sets with Urethane & it is better. Leave both wings on for windrowing, not a problem. Never thought about that question on the Turkey Wings, hopefully somebody with them posts about that.

5. Husker1982

Husker1982 Member

You have me confused...:confused: :confused: :confused:

6. SIMONE'S LAWNS SERVICE

SIMONE'S LAWNS SERVICE Member

I intalled a set of Pro-Wings this year...Love em' I have an older Western 7' Pro Plow, so the added width made a huge difference for me. I got mine through Northern Tool on sale for $159.00- $30.00 for shipping.

7. sschario

sschario Member

Thanks guys! I think the Pro Wings make more sense for me. The added width on my 7.5 and reduced trail-off sounds great.

Now I just have to decide which to do first: u-edge or wings? I know the u-edge won't increase productivity, but my personal accounts are residential. On the commercial lots I am subbing and wings would not increase my hourly rate (actually hurt me if more productive). By next year I hope to be done subbing and may save the wings for that.

Thanks for the feedback.
    Steve

8. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

STEVE....I have turkey wings on my straight blade.......
    I can adjust the chain on them and they V out some to
    carry more snow from the front out to the back of my "T"
    shaped lot as there is nowhere to stack snow in front !
    Windrowing down the center I only leave 1 on and take
    the snow out back to the field ! I like how they also
    float with the blade too..... Less spillage and fewer runs
    to get it done ! Good luck with your choice !

9. sschario

sschario Member

sonjaab...How far out do they go? Do they still float when they are V'd out? Are they intended to do this?

Thanks.

10. BRL

Husker1982,
    I think what Speedracer meant was that there wasn't any negative effects on the process of windrowing with the wings on, not "no difference" per say. The larger bites he could take having the wings on probably did result in a positive difference in his plowing performance & production. Does that help understand that one?

11. ddm

ddm Member

Don't know much about the turkey wings, but I've had the pro-wings on both 7.5' and 8' plows. I always figured that on average I would say they would increase productivity at least 25%. Probably a lot more on light fluffy snow and cleaning up trails with the straight blades.
    The only downfall I ever had was if snow got packed down in roadways or such. Usually just pull them off so the blade would scrape up the hardpack a little better. Very easy off and on.

Hope that helps a bit, seems like I'm getting a bit off the subject as started here.

12. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

STEVE......I added a extra foot of chain on them. I can
    adjust as needed . They V
    out about 6 inches or so each side and are tight to the
    blade back so no trails while shoving the load out to the
    field. When I looked at the Pro wings at the BBQ a
    couple of years back they didn't seem to float..Or
    so it seemed to me. This year I said what the heck !
    Rod the turkey wing man was there at the BBQ and
    gave me a deal on a set ! Got a lot of magic salt too
    from the Taconic Maint. guys!
    Thank God ...we have been gettin clobbered here with
    white gold this year......Truck, plow, wings, and Magic
    salt have been put to the test. Last year most of us
    starved to death !......................geo

13. BRL

"When I looked at the Pro wings at the BBQ a
    couple of years back they didn't seem to float..Or
    so it seemed to me. "

They "float" where ever the plow floats. And the trip with the plow if it trips. The reason the Turkey Wings "float" is they have to because they are installed at a 90 degrree angle to the plow. They are set up to float so that the plow can trip as it is supposed to normally, instead of causing major damage when hitting obstructions that trip a plow.

14. speedracer241

speedracer241 Senior Member

Thanks BRL for rewording that for me.:waving:
    The Pro-Wings have no ill effect on the way the plow windrows. They really are a timesaver.
    A real good investment,
    Mark K

The added weight also seems to scrape the hardpack a little better, too.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2003