1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by c_maint, Jan 25, 2002.

1. c_maint

c_maint Member

are those wing any good? and what about the rubber blades?
    most of my plowing is back dragging, i imagine the rubber blade would be too light. i need all the weight i can get.
  2. jackfrost

jackfrost Junior Member

c_maint,Im assuming your talking about plow wings,I run a boss v but my buddy has them on his striaght blade and he likes the fact that there is no spill off when you try to widen things out.Rubber blades? You mean u-edges I think,but ask Dino(plowking) about them he knows alot on this subject.Ive read some of his posts and it seems like the u-edges have more pros then cons.The big con seems like price but if they hold up better then steel then I would think that the u-edge is would pay for itself over time because steel edges wear down quick.Plowking I have a question.Could I put them on my boss v?I know you said you had them on your western v,but the boss has that "horseshoe" in the middle,would that cause problems installing the u-edge?
  3. scotty2222

scotty2222 Member
    from MI

c_maint I have a set of Pro-Wings on my plow and do like them. Back dragging is good with them if you mount the rubber edge as level as the edge on the plow then they will drag good. That is the rubber blade you are talking about I hope? As far as run off there is very little when there on, for small lots they (Pro-Wings) are great. For large lots they are good to but don't roll the snow as good. Clean right up to the curb and every thing. I put them on a C-7.5 meyers and now the plow is alittle over 9' 4" long now.
    Hope this helps lets use know what you do:D :D
  4. turkeywing

turkeywing Manufacturer & PlowSite.com Sponsor

c_maint ,

TURK-KEY WINGS will allow you little to know spill off, they are great in small lots and extremely great in large lots, because they allow the snow to continue to roll you will roll a large wave of snow to the pile with very little spill off, as far as back dragging you can easily back drag with them on, we just received a e-mail from a customer in MN that plows 128 town houses he was concerned about backdragging, but once he put the wings on he said he doesn't hardly back drag at all, as he can grab most of the snow without back dragging, his first snowfall with the wings was done 6 hours sooner.
    "put the snow where you want it to go"
  5. plowjockey

plowjockey PlowSite.com Sponsor

The urethane edge will work just fine for your Bosas "V". You just shape the bottom of the edge to fit up around the shoe in the middle. The nise thing with custom fitting the U-edges is that they are very easy to cut and shape with regular tools such as a sawzall.

6. Big Todd

Big Todd Senior Member

I love my prowings and wouldn't even think of plowing without them. We have a couple of apartment complexes where we have to do a lot of winrowing, and having the wings cuts your time almost in half. also, if you are doing a large lot where you can roll the snow all to one side, you can take a lot larger bite. They add alomst two feet to your blade's overall width without addind a bunch of weight.

Actually, the turkey wings look pretty cool too, and I can see where they would have an advantage in some situations. It would be cool if it were possible to interchange the two an then you'd have the best of both...
  7. Rider1340

Rider1340 Member

Last edited: Jan 26, 2002
  8. J.Henderson

J.Henderson Senior Member

How does that affect the tripping of the plow. It looks more like a box plow than wings. Do they fold in or are they fixed in the box position?
  9. HandyHaver

HandyHaver Senior Member

I put my new prowings to the test last week. Alls I can say is I love them. I have an ext cab & 8'ft bed with a 7.5' blade. With the wings they give me a 9'4"blade. I have only had a chance to use them once this year on my whole route, but what a difference. They will stay on till spring (which may be next week)

10. DaveK

DaveK Senior Member

I thought that truck looked familiar Rider.
    I'll bet instead of 9ft piles, you can make 10 ft piles with those new wings. lol
  11. Shady Brook

Shady Brook Member
    from Indiana

How do the wings work on residential drives? I backdrag most of my drives, and then finish off plowing them out and dumping along the street edge. How do you clean the snow off the plow with wings on without stuffing it in the neighbors yard across the street? I guess I just don't know how it would roll off to the side of the road?

OBRYANMAINT PlowSite.com Veteran
    from ohio

when i back drag a drive the "winged" area actually cleans better than the plow area because of the rubber/poly acts kinda like a squeegee,I still like them
  13. HandyHaver

HandyHaver Senior Member

Also the extra weight the wings add to the blade is a plus for back dragging. I didn't get much of a chance to use them last year. The few times I went out, they worked great. Alot of my drives are stone edged, and the rubber blade on the wing were "alot" more forgiving tham the steel blade when you catch an edge.

They will be on my blade this year and I hope to use them alot more than last year.

14. turkeywing

If your customer has room to stuff a pile of snow along there driveway edge the need for backdraging is eliminated, in cases where this is not an option the wings can be removed easily in seconds and you can push it off the side, You can also roll snow off the blade with the wings on, by lifting the blade slowly as you travel, this works but is not as effective. We had a customer that wrote us after using the wings to plow townhouses he used to backdrag everything and after using the wings he doesn't backdrag anything and cut his time 40%.

"Put the snow where you want it to go."
  15. Shady Brook

Shady Brook Member
    from Indiana

Yeah, the wings look like a super investment. I would love some, I am still concerned about how to get rid of the snow after I back drag. Most of my drives go up to garage doors, and they are normally short drives. I pretty much have to back drag away from the garage, and take the snow along the edge of the drive, but more often I drag it all into the street. I then have to push it along side of the road slideing it off on the road side. I just don't know how I will shed the snow from the plow once in the street, I wish I could stack more of my drives, but it is not an option. Any more thoughts on how the wings might work would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again

Have a 9.2 Boss -V. Will they be O.K on this plow?
  17. turkeywing

I don't think the wings would be efficient enough on the "V",
    I have never had any one try them on a "V" as they are design for straight blades. I'm sure the wings would mount on the "V" but I don't think they would allow you to plow in the catch position as you would end up pushing snow with the outside of the wing.
    Put them on a straight blade it's a whole new ball game.:D

"Put the snow where you want it to go!"
  18. Henry

Henry Member

How does putting your wings on a plow eliminate having to backdrag driveways? Are you sure your definition of back dragging
    is the same as eveyone elses?
  19. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

Shady Brook,
    Stop thinking about it. You are stressing over something that is not an issue with the Pro Wing style of wings (I don't have the Turkkey Wings so I can't comment on those). All the wing (pro Wing styles) is doing is taking your straight blade & making it a bigger blade. You still backdrag the driveways & plow the snow like always, you're just knocking out more at a time. Go for it.
  20. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

I put the pro wings on my 7.5 fisher,they work great in most cases but will not allow you to "throw" snow,they are pitched foward and carry snow great but i do some private roads were i need to roll the snow not keep it with me so i take one side off and go and for the most part i just run the one wing anyways,it alone saves a ton of time.The only thing you should know that the ads dont tell you is you need to drill or torch two 1 1/8 holes in your blade,thats a big drill bit that i dont keep in stock and torching a brand new blade brings tears to my eyes!my blade was 7 years old so i torched the holes and welded the brackets,i didnt bother putting them on my new blade.All in all they are worth the money.