1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by beanz27, Jan 4, 2013.

1. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

So I was talking to my boss for snow. I told him he should put wings on the blades or at least the truck I am in so i can get the job done faster and better. He pretty much laughed in my face about it and said no because they'd only get ripped off since we do some plowing around curbs.

I personally have wings on my main truck. Makes my 8.6 blade go to 9' 4", besides that I can "scoop" the snow then and it makes it go faster in my opinion. But I'm also plowing my house and a few neighbors and we're out in the country so nothing really to hit/rip them off.

What do you guys think about wings? Commercial lots and/or residential?
  2. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

The only reason for a wing to get torn off is operator error, if they can accomplish this they're capable of doing alot more damage. I run them, I do curbed lots, resi's and roads. Sound like you boss is narrow minded and can't see the tree (money tree that is) in the forest.
  3. trustyrusty

trustyrusty Senior Member

^^^x2. Wings can increase productivity by 30% or more. They will do more one some lots than others and are not the end answer to productivity but your boss does sound like the "I've always done it this way no need to try anything different" type who will someday be left in the dust by those who seek new ways to make hay.
  4. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

Thats what I was thinking. I was amazed at how long it took me to do a lot the proper way with his truck. Granted his plow is an 8' and mine is 8' 6" but that shouldn't make that much of a difference. What pissed me off the most was having to chase my little snow trails all fricken day, where as mine you can easily just scoop it up nicely.

But at the same time I'd rather use his truck for two reasons

1. It's HIS truck thats getting beat up, not mine

2. I'm paid by the hour, and his takes longer, so thats fine with me if he wants to pay me more lol.
  5. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Here's some food for thought; Those who are in business to be in business are subject to failure, those who are in business to grow it will prosper. So it sounds like your boss is one for status quot and doesn't want to grow. I'd stick with him for the balance of the season and get something else lined up for next year.
  6. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

Six or seven seasons ago, I was just about done with snow removal. I had had it with all the headaches, etc. Then I found this site and a recommendation to try pro wings. I can't believe I went so long without them. Cuts your times way down commercial/residential. Productivity went way up along with my profit margin and made plowing fun again. Even if you damage a wing, they are relatively inexpensive compared to return on investment. Try em, you'll love em.
  7. hedhunter9

hedhunter9 Senior Member

When I was paid by the hour, I didnt use em.. :)

Now that I am paid by the job, I use them ALL the time.

Some places I plow, like the storage units with long runs, I cut my time in HALF !

8. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

You made the suggestion and he'd rather pay you more. Sounds like there's nothing more to consider. He's putting you out there to pay you money, not to move snow efficiently...just go with it. I wish someone would do that with me, but no, everybody listens to my advice. [​IMG]
  9. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

Oh while I work for him I have NO issues not using them, it's a pain sometimes but more money works for me. But I was thinking more for me after I quit working for him. Will make my life much easier is what I was thinking, but I guess if he wants to pay me more and not expand thats ok with me too lol.
  10. blizzardsnow

blizzardsnow Member

Your boss seems to be living in the stone age. If wings are so much of a hassle, then why do Blizzard, Western, and Fisher sell tens of thousands of winged plows? Because they work that's why. But, that's his problem.
  11. 2_Djinn

2_Djinn Senior Member

I worked for a company and suggested this as well since they had like 16 trucks running. They said it would work the trucks too hard. Well later on I learned everything they did was billed hourly. So then it made a bit more sense to me then.
  12. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Like said before The driver is one rips them off
    My 8.6 pro plus has wings and one my drivers all most rip it off by catching a crack in a curb and he wasnt going very fast either

On western they pin on that gives to much play They rattle alot
    Where they slide in the plow on pins I threaded the pins an put lock nuts Still can take them off Now with a ratchet 2 nuts both side
    Now they are solid since then never had a problem ripping them off If I remember right did this in 05 or 06 Still plow same parking lot with same crack curb

I think if a wing solid and not loose It can take more beating with out damage
  13. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

I was told to take my time by him, and I've heard him talk about hourly billing before so he may bill hourly. I haven't asked, it's his business. I know one place pays hourly, minimum fee of an hour every time we pull into the lot, not sure if the rest of the places are like that or not.
  14. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

Guess you have your answer

We've used wings for I don't know how long. A long time. Speed up and make more money.

15. vlc

vlc Senior Member

Mine just came in today. Can't wait to put them on my 8' MM1 and try them out. Really looking forward to plowing my commercial lots with them.