1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Wings

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by woodchuck2, Dec 15, 2012.

1. woodchuck2

woodchuck2 Senior Member

I have done several searches to find a couple guys on here built their own wings on the plows but it seems they were running Western blades and the wings were either fixed in one position or swung back out of the way when not used in gather mode. Has anyone here done wings on a Fisher and has anyone built them to be straight and forward like the XLS series? I have started my own wings and hope they work when finished but i am looking for other ideas to see if someone elses wings work better than mine will? I will post pics of what i have done so far.

2. SnowPro93

SnowPro93 Senior Member

Woodchuck2 I'm currently working on a set for my Curtis 8' and I don't think you would have a problem using them the same way with a fisher. I'm basing mine off of the Meyer Lot Pro wings. 3 adjustments to box ends, 45 degree and full width. No need to take them off unless you want 8' width for windrowing. I'm building these because its the best option for my larger commercials and I can make them hydraulic if I want for relatively short money. http://www.centralparts.com/ProductDetails25270.aspx

3. South Seneca

South Seneca Senior Member

Snowpro I like those wings. It would be great to have a set to take measurements from. Looks like a pretty easy build.

4. woodchuck2

woodchuck2 Senior Member

Damn, i like those, much lighter and easier to use than what i am throwing together.

5. woodchuck2

woodchuck2 Senior Member

Here is what i have so far today. The whole wing just slide in and will be pinned. To swing the wing forward the wing will need to be slid out and repinned. Then another pin which will be in the pivot will need to be pulled, wing swung forward and then repinned. The wing swings forward about 35deg right now. The pin in the pivot will also act as a shear pin too if it see's too much stress. If i have a problem i can pull the slide pins and yank the whole thing off and toss it in the bed or depending on mood maybe in the ditch. I will be using 1/2 rubber strips for the cutting edge so if a bump something small like a rock or lip in the driveway it will just fold the rubber back. For the gap in the mold board i have 16ga sheet steel that i am going to cut to fit the face of the wing in the forward position, when the wing is swung back the steel should still lay flat against the mold board of the wing. This i plan to weld carriage bolts to, drill thought the mold board and hold in place with wing nuts. Then if i pull the wings i can yank the sheet steel off in a couple minutes and be back to an 8' plow.

back of wing in closed position.jpg

wing in closed position.jpg

6. Morrissey snow removal

Morrissey snow removal PlowSite.com Addict

looks good so far

7. woodchuck2

woodchuck2 Senior Member

A couple more i have so far.

back of wing in open position.jpg

side of wing in open position.jpg

front of wing in open position.jpg

8. Morrissey snow removal

Morrissey snow removal PlowSite.com Addict

is that a cut off of a western plow?

9. woodchuck2

woodchuck2 Senior Member

Actually it is Thumbs Up . I chose it because they came off the ends of a 6.5 Western and for some reason it had more ribs than normal and they were close together. The shape of the mold board is not the same as the Fisher but close enough to work with.

It wont be very pretty but the wings were part of a barter agreement, the pipe i had left over from some dock work, the rubber cutting edge is free so the only real expense is my time, some pins and hardware and in the end some paint. The foil on the plow was free 2 yrs ago, and the back plow i have i made from a Western blade with Fisher pump and i have a whole $300 in. I am all about cheap when it comes to things i am unsure of how well they will work, if they work then i use them and then replace with the real deal.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2012
  10. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Used be some guys here that took a 8ft plow cut in half
    and pinned them on each side of a 8 ft meyers plow on 2 F350 trucks
    They had a big lot that they was able to windrow the snow

It was a site see them plow in the lot

I use make side boards for my plows turm my plows into boxplows but my plows would still trip

11. mossman381

mossman381 2000 Club Member

I like the idea but that looks really heavy.

12. South Seneca

South Seneca Senior Member

I'd bolt a vertical rubber strip on the end of the main plow that fills the space between mold boards. I can't think of a down side to the rubber staying there when wings are removed.

Any idea how much weight you are adding to the plow? It looks really heavy.

13. woodchuck2

woodchuck2 Senior Member

I am guessing about 150-175lbs extra when it is all finished. I have given it some thought on the rubber strip between the mold boards but thought it would be all bunched up with the wing in the straight position preventing a smooth flow of snow off the mold board when windrowing. I do some large parking lots and small roads so it would be nice to keep the snow moving well off the blade.

14. Stik208

Stik208 PlowSite.com Addict

Everyone knows this is how you make wings,
    [​IMG]

15. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Jason you are going to make that the most famous pic on plowsite. That's OK, I chuckle when I see the trash cans having fun like that.

Woodchuck - Snow is going to pour through that hole. And remember you don't have any trip protection for those wings

16. woodchuck2

woodchuck2 Senior Member

I am relying on a rubber cutting edge to protect the wings. I was given rubber strips that are either 1/2" or 5/8ths thick so they should hold the snow fine but still tuck under and back if i snub anything sticking up. Other than that hopefully the pin i am putting in the pivot will shear off i strike the tip of the wing on something. The hole?? No big deal, duct tape will fix anything! :mechanic:

17. Stik208

Stik208 PlowSite.com Addict

I love that picture, what a mess.