1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

wings vs wideout/blizzard

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by elite1msmith, Jan 14, 2010.

1. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

anyone that OWNS or RUNS a wideout or a blizzard..., AND has used a straight blade (8 foot and larger) plus WINGS.

DO you really feel that you are more productive. I kinda get the feeling that i would end up using it in scoop mode alot , or just windrow to the right...

this obviously can be done with a set of wings.

Im aware, its easier to push the button, then get out and put a set of wings on.

Im aware fitting into 8 foot spaces is alot easier with the wide out.

so minus the nice features and what not. If you had to buy a few new(or used) plows, for trucks that are used, and given to other drivers than your self...

do you feel that the extra cost of a wideout is worth the investment from a productivty stand point? and that a set of nice wings can not do a similar job?

keep in mind its hard to find used wideouts, but i can buy staright blades for 2000 bucks.

im looking at this from a business sence, and a dollars stand point.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2010
  2. procut

procut Senior Member

I would be interested in hearing some input on this as well.

I get what you're saying though, I mean, find an 8' straight, slap a set of wings on it for 200 bucks and you have about the same thing. However, just looking at the size and angle of the wings on a Wideout/blizzard, I would have to say they would collect and carry more snow, but not sure if it would be worth the extra $$.

3. wideout

wideout Senior Member
    from iowa

Well i also have a 7 1/2 foot western with wings i know its not a 8 footer and a wideout which i just got this year but on the biggest lot i have it saved an hour and a half so the more you can do the more money you can make so in my opinion its well worth the money JMO!

4. snocrete

snocrete Banned

This is true.

Ok, we run a wideout and a 7.5 ft(close enough) plow with prowings to give you comparison.......there is none. And to your(OP) comment about running it in scoop mode alot, yes I do, but I have found myself using the wideout in the fully expanded 10ft mode ALOT more than I ever thought....thats a hell of a pass....ecspecially when backdragging.

If you have good responsible drivers, I would get the wideout.....if not stick with your straight blades....they will be cheaper to repair.

5. elite1msmith

from chicago

can i ask you guys this..hoenstly, iv never been impressed with the pro wings. so if you had a set like this plowsite memeber made what do you think?

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=93896

i thank you for your input with the 7.5 ,

i have never had a 7.5, but i notice a big differnce from a 8 to an 8.5 so id assume the same is true with a 7.5

what im really looking for is a close compairison with the Width of the plows to be about the same Wideout in scoop, and plow with wings that is. in theroy if the wingers are similar in size, angle and total blade width it should move the same amount of snow correct? im wondering more on the fuctional abblity of the plow to change to different positions, and if it would save more time over a plow with the wings i guess. AND STILL BE WORTH THE $3000 more, if you had to buy 3 of them

6. snocrete

snocrete Banned

7. snocrete

snocrete Banned

If your wings are the same dimensions then yes , you will have the same carrying capacity. Where the wideout will be superior in that case, will be windrowing (1 wing straight, 1 kicked forward) and backdragging (10ft straight mode). The wideout will be much heavier, thus providing better backdragging ability.

I do believe that in the long run (with well trained, responsible operators) the wideout would be more profitable.

And in reality, a wideout is only about $1200 - $1500 more than a 8ft pro plow w/ western wings(less capacity). IMO, a better price comparison. I would imagine "custom" made wings will bring the pricing even closer....which is what you would have to do to get the same carrying capacities.

8. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

A lot of companies use Wideouts around here. I think they would be worth the cost from what I have seen and heard. They are a lot more versatile than an 8ft plow with wings. Most of the "professional" companies don't use straight blades. The V's and Wideouts are common.

9. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

My thoughts exactly. I ran a Boss 8Ft superduty with prowings for about 6 years. The Blizzard being able to adjust the wings from in the cab makes plowing more productive. The pro wings dont allow windrowing very well after the first pass or in really deep stuff. I wont be going back to a straight blade any time soon.

10. angelryder

angelryder Junior Member

Well boys I am fairly new to plowing....year 2, my boss just bought me a brand new blizzard blade with the retractables, only used a few times no major snow here yet...arghhh but have also used a western v, after a yahooo smashed into a pole and beat up the new one it is back ready to go... yahoo is gone waiting to push push push, but what I did find was, I LOVE IT! Nervous at first seemed so breakable wasnt sure about cleaning up along edges etc but works great can swipe 10' in one pass, edges great but will let you all know more if we ever get more than 3 cm of snow. Can we all all start our "snow dance" paleeeeeese! oh ya backdrags amazing 10 times better than a v!

2009 GMC 3/4
    10 Blizzard

11. f250man

f250man PlowSite Veteran

I think once you get used to a wideout you will never want to use another plow again. I run an 8' western proplus with wings and love it will never plow without wings again. Just my .02 cents

12. starc

starc Senior Member

If I felt like spending the money...I would personally rather the wideout do to the option of adjustability. I never remove my wings, there always on. My only worry would be the issue of damaging one of the wideout wings and the cost to repairing it.

13. elite1msmith

from chicago

ok, your wings have a pretty good angle on them, when your windrowing, do you feel the one wing that is not retacted (when angleing right , it would be the right wing) affects the rolling ablity or leaves snow behind? any negative effects? obviously the other wing would do its job correctly and similar to the wideout to prevent spill off.

just wondering, never used either to be honest, im going to need to buy 3 blades coming up for next year, again, i can find a used ultra straight for in the 2,000 range, but cant find any wideouts used.... so thats a pretty big cost difference between the 2 plows

14. snocrete

snocrete Banned

15. elite1msmith

from chicago

good answer.

no budget at this time, however hence my reasons for the questions, Im trying to create a budget and goals for next season. I know for a fact 2 plows will be purchased. im hoping a 3rd as well. It might not be a apples to apples comp. , but im not looking at what is new VS used. Im looking at WHAT IS and will be AVALIBLE on the open market.

and yes run them until they are scrape either way, then fix them , paint them and sell them

16. voyagerxii

voyagerxii Junior Member

No one has mentioned that those wings you add to the straight blade don't hold up well. They bend easily and tear the moldboard at the mounting holes. The brackets also break easily. The rubber edge wears at a different rate than the blades cutting edge and can lift the plow when back dragging.
    We were running six Western straights with wings added. After every event I was fixing something on those wings or the mold board. A few years ago we replaced three of the blades with Blizzard 810's and an 8611lp. Those same drivers aren't wrecking Blizzard wings and I feel that says a lot about the difference in their strength. The added cost of a Blizzard or Wideout may be cheaper than the labor/maintenance of the other wings.
    One place the Pro Wings really work well is on that first snow where the ground isn't frozen yet. The rubber edge will expose the grass edge of a drive before the steel cutting edge rips it up.

Scott

17. BMWSTUD25

BMWSTUD25 Senior Member

First off I don't have nor have I ever run a wideout style plow so I apologize in advance if this doesnt help you. I do however run a Boss plow 7'6" with Boss brand wings, bringing total length from tip to tip to 9'4". I never take them off. they are amazing and are a huge improvement hands down. I think the first problem with wings is the pro-wings. in my opinion they are junk! I completely understand that the manufacturer made wings are more money but when you put them side by side there is no comparison. My Boss wings are built and built well! my plow still lacks a little on the carrying side compared to what I've seen the wideouts carry but its certainly close. As for the trailing wing when wind-rowing I can see little effect on the ability to move snow along. There is also no problem with leftover snow because of it. IMO operating a plow with wings is a whole different style of plowing. the way you would plow with my straight blade now is nothing like you would before I added the wings. as for the wideout style plows everyone I do know that uses them absolutely loves them, though most of them are using them in large wide open lots.

18. BMWSTUD25

BMWSTUD25 Senior Member

agree 100% no matter what kind of wings you have as long as they have a rubber edge

19. snocrete

snocrete Banned

FWIW, we use our wideout on anything from 10ft X 35ft driveways (1 pass backdragging;)) to 6+ acre parking lots. I have a good mixture this year of comm & resi accounts, and will say that this style plow is as useful on my resi's as it is on comm.

20. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

How bout a speedwing. Save you the effort and just a fraction above the cost of a straight blade.