1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Wings out of aluminum

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by ddb maine, Oct 2, 2010.

1. ddb maine

ddb maine Senior Member

I knows the topic of wings has been killed but what about aluminum. Someone with good metal knowledge. I know the material specs will need to be multiplied by 1.25 or more. Or does aluminum just not have the tensile stregth. I'm thinking a huge weight advantage for a blizzard 800 HD pump, any thoughts?

2. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Snow LOVES to stick to aluminum

3. ddb maine

ddb maine Senior Member

Perfect. Needs to be coated. Any other cons?

4. theplowmeister

from MA

I have not seen wings, how much weight you think you will save?

Aluminum has a fatigue life.

5. bighornjd

bighornjd Senior Member

Wouldn't be strong enough I don't think and it wouldn't be practical to make it big enough to have proper strength. Probably why you don't see a bunch of aluminum plows around. Why would you want aluminum other than weight savings? If your plow pump can't handle the weight of a set of wings, then it must be a POS to begin with. If corrosion is a concern, then maybe stainless?

I don't know, but I could see aluminum wings bending or cracking way too easy. The steel ones have a hard enough time taking the abuse as it is.

6. theplowmeister

from MA

Its as strong as you build it, They make 747s out of aluminum.

7. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

wow....I cant wait to see that 747 plowing snow......lmao

8. purpleranger519

purpleranger519 Senior Member
    from Kansas

ddb why such a concern on the pump? As I said in my PM I have ran the 14" set on a 860HD for 3 years going on 4 years and no trouble with my pump. I just don't think you can build it strong enough to keep from bending and twisting the wing. Look at the steel that I'm making mine out of and I've still managed to twist a couple.
    Best advice though, build them and see for yourself.

9. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

i agree 519. make them from steel. you can re weld it easily when they fail.

10. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

Ya I don't believe it would be strong enough either.

11. viper881

viper881 Senior Member

Weighted wouldnt be a factor on wings for me. It would be price! Make them out of steel and you can reweld them, striaghten them, whatever. Alum. i dont think would be as strong as you think for wings....or someone would be buidling them already. But heck...if its sitting around. TRY

12. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

Make it out of iconel it'll last longer than your plow and your tuck combined!

It would be extremly hard to weld tho, but at least you have a 220,000 psi tensile strength.

Also try steel!

13. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Building them out of Aluminum could increase your rigidity with-out gaining any weight but if you build them strong enough to hold up they are not going to be much lighter. But they would be more rigid. The alloy you chose would be critical as well, for example 4043 would be easy to work with but would be way to soft. Plus you need to remember you want annealed aluminum for anything you want to bend. I think the biggest factor after design parameters could be cost.

14. ddb maine

ddb maine Senior Member

ok my thoughts over the past week have been this. The benefits of aluminum; weight, corrosion resistance. that means less wear on the pump, and not having to grind them and repaint them. The other big benefit to me is no one else seems to have done it. I like experiments.

Basher. I was thinking 6061 t56. as for cost, mild steel comes in at just under 100 for material. aluminum is just under 200. I have 3/16 or 1/4" 1.5" by 1.5" angle aluminum already. I have never heard of annealed aluminum. I dont plan on bending anything. I think the only other major concern is that aluminum looses quite a bit of strength in welding. but 1/4" 1.5x1.5 box tubing for a frame would be more than enough I figure I'll save 30-40 lbs on the pair. Now, I only have a reasonable knowledge of hydraulics. I understand fully how they work. I have replaced alot of lines. but their capacities I do not. I have a blizzard 800 hd.

I also have a sheet of 18ga stainless steel. i would have to double it up, but That could be an option although I have never welded stainless.

I'm going to get the pricing for stainless tubing.

I have everything I need to weld steel and aluminum. I wonder if i would need shielding gas for stainless. I know i would need a spool of stainless wire. I will look into this.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2010
  15. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

If you're using TIG the shielding gas is the same for steel/alum/SS. If you are using MIG then you need to change shielding gases. They all require a different gas or combination of gases.

Good Luck.

16. ddb maine

ddb maine Senior Member

if I have enough stainless steel sheet, then its an option, 3/16 and 1/4" stainless is absurd. they also make flux cored stainless. So if i have enough in that sheet the materials for stainless wings would be in the same range as aluminum.

17. ddb maine

ddb maine Senior Member

Frame will be aluminum, mold board is going to be stainless. I have more than enough of eatch to build this. Now I just need to engineer the space frame to resist the twisting.

18. theplowmeister

from MA

I was told by my welding supplier, in MIG welding SS you can use the same gas as you use in steel welding.

19. ddb maine

ddb maine Senior Member

Good info. Thanks bud.

20. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

You realize you can not weld the SS to the aluminum:confused:

You need tri mix (90% Helium/7.5% argon/2.5% CO2) for quality SS MIG welding