1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

wings on poly blade???

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by RocknCLawn, Aug 29, 2008.

1. RocknCLawn

RocknCLawn Junior Member
    from Kansas

Hey guys I was wondering if anyone ran pro wings on a poly blade? I have had wings on all my other blades and am not sure about putting them on my new poly meyer. will they crack/split when you drill the 1" hole for the wings? hopefully someone has ran them and can give me a heads up..... Thanks

colby

2. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

wings

i do not think that would be the thing to do, no strength were you need it for the wing's .

3. RocknCLawn

RocknCLawn Junior Member
    from Kansas

Kinda what i was thinking but was hopeing for a answer like go ahead its ok lol. Dang.

4. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Where's B and B. I think you have to weld a plate in, betwen the braces, to bolt the wings on and then they should be fine. Never done it though.

5. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

my uncle has poly meyer with wings

just needs an oversize washer on the back side

he run it for years

6. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Why risk wrecking it, when you can weld a plate in. JMO

7. RocknCLawn

RocknCLawn Junior Member
    from Kansas

yeah, i dont think that the plate would be a bad idea but do you weld in two for each side then. Because you have the two hinge brackets that bolt to the right and left side of the blade. Then you have the like 1" hole you have to drill into the blade itself and the shaft goes through that. IMO the hole where the shaft goes through is where the stress would be from brushing up against curbs etc. Anyone else have any ideas?

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You got it JD.

You want to weld a reinforcement plate (cross member so to speak) between the vertical uprights to span the distance between them. Then drill the holes through the poly sheet and through this new cross member.

The outer brackets are ok as is out of the box. They span across the uprights enough to support themselves against the ribs. They simply have the poly sandwiched in between the brackets and the upright, no big deal.

9. RocknCLawn

RocknCLawn Junior Member
    from Kansas

So the brace is for the BIG hole then? Thanks for the help.

10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Correct.

Be cautious when welding to the vertical uprights...the rubber cushion insert in the uprights as well as the poly sheet itself isn't too tough to melt. :D

11. RocknCLawn

RocknCLawn Junior Member
    from Kansas

Alright, Thanks for the help again. If and when the grass slows down I will have something to work on, ha. its always something!