1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Wings on lexan blade Sno-way?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by bison1973, Feb 2, 2003.

1. bison1973

bison1973 Member

Does anyone know if either the Pro-Wings or Turkey-Wings can be installed on the Sno-Way plows with the lexan (clear) blade? Or has anyone here done this? Thanks.
  2. Grshppr

Grshppr Senior Member

I don't know for sure about lexan, but I know I can't put them on my poly blade.
  3. pbeering

pbeering Senior Member

I can't speak to the Turkey Wings, but the pro-wings require a steel mold board. We like them a lot. Definately cut the time to do drives, lots, and cul de sacs.
  4. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

wings on poly or lexan plows

Bison, We use the same procedure to add wings on the snoway blades as we do on the poly blades.

We put a steel brace behind the sheet and drill an oversized hole thru the sheet. Then extend the pin and put a stop on it to keep the wing from hitting the sheet. Attach the side brackets with a welder and you're all set. The other option is we usually replace the lexan with a stainless sheet and then put the brace on the back and do a standard install thru the sheet.

Hope this helps. Jerre
  5. Highpoint

Highpoint Senior Member

Same as Heyer. We have Pro Wings on our 7.5 Poly Meyer. Love em.:D :cool:
  6. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

There are some old threads here on the subject. Some people had done it on the "poly" plows without problems, and I recall a couple of posts where they did crack or shatter their mold boards. I don't remember those posts mentioning doing the stuff that Heyer mentioned though. Not sure if the Lexan is the same as "poly" boards. Anyone know that? I got lucky & traded the 7.5' poly plow I had for an 8' steel plow before I had to worry about figuring out how to get wings onto that plow.
  7. mulchmonkey2000

mulchmonkey2000 Senior Member

personally i wouldn't do it on a poly blade. I'ld be to worried of punching a hole in the blade or cracking it. Sounds like others have had some luck though. If you do do it, i'ld say install it like they suggest. Sounds like the only reasonable way.
  8. Highpoint

Highpoint Senior Member

We've had wings on our Poly Meyer for 6 seasons now. No problems. The pretty yellow mold board even took a direct hit from a shotgun blast and still has little rusted pellets embedded. (don't know who did that) Going on 3 years with that one. The trick is to re-enforce the ends so the wings can support themselves and install a steel cross beam where the "nipple" will come through. This helps prevent the wing from pulling the board out of shape when the leading edge hits something. Another trick is to cut the large "nipple" on the back side of the wing OFF before installation. This allows you to get the wing positioned perfectly and allows no room for error on drilling the hole in the mold board. Re weld the "nipple" and drill the hole perfect. Good luck
  9. mulchmonkey2000

mulchmonkey2000 Senior Member

HIghpoint, Is compition really that tough there that people are shooting at your plow?:eek:
  10. ddm

ddm Member

I don't know about the Lexan face on the Snoway unit, it's pretty thin looking, but they say its awful tough stuff. Some years back I had a 7.5 Meyer poly that we put the pro-wings on and never had any problems whatsoever. No extra bracing or anything, just drilled and bolted the side mount pins and put like 1 1/4" hole I think it was right through the poly with the backing plate that comes with the wing as the only thing behind it. Worked real well and I know that they hit quite a few curbs pretty hard without ever damaging the plow a bit.
  11. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

Maybe you should review the thread about weapons and plowing........LOL

As to lexan vs poly. Two different animals. Poly is more durable for snow plow use and most blades are 3/8" matl. Lexan makes great window's but the 1/8" matl seem's to crack out with normal use in our are. Remember this is Erie were the snow mixes with the occasional rock, shopping cart, parking tie, car and other obstructions ( REALLY JERRE I DIDN'T HIT ANYTHING TO CAUSE THAT BIG HOLE IN THE BLADE ) Sno-Way even realized the problem with the lexan and the standard blades come with a steel sheet unless the dealer orders them otherwise.

12. Highpoint

Highpoint Senior Member

Bang Bang

:gunsfiring: Seriousley. The plow was stored at a friends farm while we moved our shop. It sat there most of the summer. We went to pick it up and found that someone had shot it with a shotgun. The spread was approx. 18 inches. I'm not a hunter and know nothing about guns. How far do you think the shot orginated from? Accident or Malice?:eek: