1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Wings on a V plow?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by NEUSWEDE, Jan 3, 2006.

NEUSWEDE Senior Member

I have an 8'6 Fisher EZ-V and was curious if anyone has wings or extensions on their V plow?
    Some parking lots I wish I had the 9'6 V but for some of my residential it would be hard with the 9'6. I thought maybe some wings that could come on and off would be great for the bigger areas I have
    Any pictures post them!
  2. columbiaplower

columbiaplower Senior Member

Do a search on the topic, been a bunch of threads on it in the past. Seems like a good idea for your mixed client base.
  3. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

What a PITA it would be to take on and off wings every few stops. If you can't get it done with 8'6 then you have problems my friend. Honestly how much difference would it be by adding another 18"?:confused:
  4. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

If you can use them add them. I was thinking the same thing for my set up. It would cut down on plow time and thats always a good idea.
  5. Brian Young

Yeah I understand about the whole saving time thing thats why my plows have wings. But....I am having a hard time justifying taking them on and off, yeah they are pretty simple but it still takes a few minutes and that over time negates the time you save by having wings.
  6. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I don't take mine off.. I welded them on:nod: They don't make them for the old RT IIs. Thats why I used the hot metal glue gun..lol
    my 8.2 boss V went to 9.10. What will take you two pass I will now do in one. Honestly.
    Adding another 22 inches makes the world of difference.
    Still confused? :dizzy:
    why get a 8.6 plow when you can get the job done with a snowblower?
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2007
  7. Brian Young

No I'm not confused at all and never was, Great weld them on do whatever but he was talking about taking them on and off at different stops. My point was, I would think it would negate the time gained by having a wider plow when you have to stop and remove them all the time. But whatever not my time being wasted.:salute:
  8. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

if you plowed a big lot and the wings saved say 30 minutes than you removed them for a residential you will still be ahead time wise. Getting out of the truck every once in a while is good, you can stretch your legs and look your plow over.
  9. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

It takes me about 2 minutes to install and remove my wings. Call it 5 minutes out of the truck at every stop. If you're plowing commercial you are probably spending a minimum of an hour at each lot. That's only 1/12th of your total time at the lot. They do make the job go a lot faster. Let's say they cut the plow time down 25% which, in my experience, is a low estimate. If you spend an hour at a lot without the wings, you will spend 45 minutes WITH the wings. Subtract the 5 minutes spent on teh install / removal and you still saved 10 minutes. DO that 6 times and you will have saved an hour at the least. They're definitely worth my time:cool: Personally, I feel they cut my time down by about 30%. Maybe more in the right circumstances.
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2006
  10. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Your right!!..:drinkup:

In some lots you save even more time. With the wings on your V plow you control where the snow goes.:nod:

NEUSWEDE Senior Member

I am not really worried about the whole time savings of taking them on and off. It is just at a condo the residents move their cars back from their spaces agaist a patio and in some parts have to make 120 yard push. The wings would allow me to carry more.
    But my biggest worry is I have a fisher which has trip edge. How will the wings react to that was my concern. Most is flat but just incase. I don't want to drill a hole in the blade for something that won't work.
    Keep the info coming
  12. MD Power Plow

MD Power Plow Senior Member

Add wings

Sound like a plan I think I might add another set of wing to this Add Wings.JPG

Add Wings.JPG
  13. mrplowdude

mrplowdude Senior Member

14. Plow Meister

Good luck! I've heard nothing but problems about the wings on that plow lately. Go ahead and add more to the problems :D

NEUSWEDE Senior Member

what kind of problems? That person hasn't posted since 2004 so I doubt they will answer a PM.
  16. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

I don't think it is such a pain to put them on and take them off. It does save a lot of time. well worth it in my opinion.

Boss 9.2V with wings

17. Plow Meister

The whole issue of hyper extending the wings. Maybe it was an old post and I didn't read the date.
  18. Plow Meister

That's a sweet set up! I'd really like to see that blade in the scoop position and the wings attached. I bet it's just like a pusher box:D
  19. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

Do you know what casuses the blizzards wings to hyperextend? Would you please explain how wings on a blizzard would increases the likelyhood unless you back into something?:rolleyes:

Wings arnt really about scooping. They are really about being able to take a bigger bite and not have the trail off on the other side.(they do help you scoop more though)

I wouldnt be leary of the tripping action with wings......actually I think they would hold up better than the full trip. But I duno if I like the extra load/leverage they put on the blade. Thats why I kept em off my 9.5 V and why if I ran them I would be carefull about not having my trailing wing ever fully retracted(You shouldnt anywho buuuut) Also I would make sure you run the stops that come standard on the 9.5's, I think they are optional on the 8.5's
  20. Plow Meister