1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Wings on a V piow?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Bossplower, Feb 21, 2003.

1. Bossplower

Bossplower Member

Has anyone used wings on a V plow ? I'm buying two U edges this week for my Boss plows. Can you add wings if you use a U edge?

2. Rooster

Rooster Member
    from Kansas

Boss plower,

That is an interesting concept. I have a set I bought for another plow, sold the truck with the plow and now have a 8'2" V plow.

Please post your results.

Rick

3. SnowGodFather

SnowGodFather Member

Buy a Blizzard.

I have wings on 1 plow, love them, but can see them to change the v plows drasticly for the worse.

4. Lazer Man

Lazer Man Senior Member
    from SW Pa.

Godfather, why a change for the worse with wings on a V ? We have a set on our Fisher 8 ft straight and a big change for the better. We got a set for our V but haven't got to put them on yet. The only problem that I can possibly see is in heavy snow the additional weight might cause the wing to fold back with the extra back pressure on the cylinders. As far as the wings in the forward position with the wings on, the wings will point straight ahead giving the plow more room to hold more snow. As I said we haven't put them on yet so we will have to see how they work out.

Bob

5. SnowGodFather

SnowGodFather Member

The Turkey wings will point in, in the V position.

Regular wings may work, but I thought the same for the pressure and might add to much weight for the truck to push.

Some V plows might not handel the added stress.

On my plow the wings make the plow trip more, and force it to angle at times when we don't want it to.

6. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

Been there, Done that, It works ok for most use but in heavier snows you'll probably pull them off. Gives a larger scoop area and works like a Blizzard in straight blade. Makes clearer path in the V position for tire clearance.

As posted you might want to look into a Blizzard. On the Western and Fishers you'll probably want to reset your crossover and wing pressure reliefs.

Boss you may have to add more springs to the wing return if you don't use smart lock cyls and the GODFATHER has spoken. More stress than the plow is designed for.

Just IMO Jerre

7. Plow Babe

Plow Babe Senior Member

Bossplower,
    We were actually tossing around the same idea - in the straight position, the wings would make a scoop, and in the V position they would point straight forward, making it a V / box. But we ended up retrofitting the V-blade differently (I described this on a different thread, but don't remember which one) - cut an old plow in half and welded the pieces onto the V blade, making it 11.5' instead of 7.5', so now it has plenty of scoop for what the Bobcat can handle. We have not had any problems with this, but we did have the welder doing the work add a lot of extra metal and support while he was at it.

I am a bit technically challenged and don't have a digital camera, but one of my summer projects this year is to figure out how to put pictures onto e-mail and internet, so don't hold your breath but I hope to post some pictures someday:D

8. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

Karen, See Howard for photo help when you demo the Blizzard plow. He's got it down now. We've just got to get him to take more in the day so you can see that fine Excursion before he redecorates the body panels.
    Jerre

9. P&J Lawncare

P&J Lawncare Member

I use them on my 8.5 fisher v-plow and I haven't had any problems what so ever.

internet pictures 048.jpg