1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Wings on a MVP3

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Jewell1386, Dec 15, 2015.

1. Jewell1386

Jewell1386 Senior Member

I purchased a new MVP3 this year and thinking of adding the western wings to it. Let me know what you all think of them.

2. DIRISHMAN

DIRISHMAN PlowSite Veteran

i have two guys personaly i know whom have these plows and both have the wings on it. And both say they dont know how they could plow with out them. In one video of him plowing he throws a wake of snow over a Skid and Burries it..LOL

3. theguynextdoor

theguynextdoor Senior Member

I have them on my MVP3 and they are great. I have wings on every plow I own, and would not consider using any plow without wings. The MVP3 wings are a significantly better design than the previous Western proplus and mvp wings. They are much much stronger, with a more solid mounting set up. I think the latch that holds them on the plow is a little goofy, but definitely works well so far.

The rubber edges of the wings greatly reduce the shock to the plow and truck when going over bumps. They also make the cutting edge last longer. I had the same cutting edge on my pro plus for 3-4 years before changing it, and it was still perfectly straight when I took it off. The edge doesn't get that "smile" from corners wearing without wings.

The increased efficiency with greater width and reduced spill off it well worth the cost.

4. truckitup

truckitup Senior Member

Worth every penny. Easy one and off. They do help with the wear of the cutting edge, and they will move some snow. They also will take the betting of the curbs instead of your plow.

5. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

I have 2 mvp plus and have wings on both, love them. But it would kinda depends on what your plowing, residential drives you probably don't need them but commercial lots yes.

6. Jewell1386

Jewell1386 Senior Member

I am plowing mostly all commercial I have an entire subdivision we do but not till 5:30 in the morning can we start. I have some pretty good size lots that pay by the push so time is money. I have a power plow on one of my trucks it. Was mine for the last 2 years thought I missed my v boy was I wrong I miss my wing out and my the way the wings look on the v it helps stop spill off when u are rolling snow

7. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Sounds like something a wing eating old dog would do..........

Wings are a must IMO, besides the extra width you can carry a lot of snow in scoop when relocating snow.

8. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Ruff Ruff...

Love me some wings.

9. DIRISHMAN

1olddog do something like that..... naaah........lmao.. Pat chime in please and show em what ya did

10. Hysert

Hysert PlowSite.com Addict

11.4 straight!!! Love them.. spend the money! Enjoy..

11. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

That guy sounds like a real dog.... burying a skid loader... just rude.:laughing:

I bet he laughs after he buries it too huh. Thumbs Up

12. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

More like a cackle.....

13. DIRISHMAN

Ummm yeah how did ya guess .....bahahaha..

14. theguynextdoor

theguynextdoor Senior Member

I disagree about residential. I do 95% residential plowing, and every one of my plows has wings. The wings keep snow from spilling into the garage door when you're pushing past side-load garages. They also make cleaning up the end of the driveway a breeze after back dragging the snow down to the end, or making a quick pass to clean up after the town plows the roads. Without wings, you better hope you don't drop your plow before the leading edge is into the apron or you're head will hit the ceiling. I drop my rubber edge wing in the road and go right over the bump of the apron without feeling it.

I've also found that the driveways get less scratches and gouges from the plows, which makes customers happy. I use it as a selling feature of our service when people say their previous service gouged the black top. Of course there is no guarantee.

15. Philbilly2

Can't you do all that with the vee wing?? :confused:

I can see what you are saying with a straight blade, but on a vee for residential, it seems redundant no?

16. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

I only do 3 to 4 residentials (mine, my mothers, my sisters) the rest is all commercial. For me back dragging away from the garage is better without the wings. You get more pounds per square inch on the drive without them. All else the wings are good.

17. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

I have an MVP with wings. There is a big difference when you have the wings off. The wings are angled forward and really hold the spilloff well. I only take them off if the snow is wet and heavy, and it takes me alot longer to do the same area versus if I had the wings on. With the wings on, you can almost do edging like you were using a blower.

18. Jewell1386

Jewell1386 Senior Member

I have 4 trucks total 2 are running standard western pro plows they do most of the drives I try to keep the big boys out of there but will bump a few when I have to. My wing out is on a extended cab long bed f350 with a spreader on back and my v is on a crew cab shorted with a spreader. I can't seem to let the subdivision go they pay seasonal don't complain about money increased the cost this year by 837.00 dollars and just said ok plus I can't start till 5AM I get to make money all night then go make
    More!!!! I am ordering a set of wings as soon as we get some cash flow. Dang salt sitting is killing me. Nothen like starring at a semi load of salt.

19. Philbilly2

[​IMG]

20. DIRISHMAN

Now that's funny