1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Wings on a 6.5' Western SUV Blade

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by Diesel_brad, Oct 30, 2011.

1. Diesel_brad

Diesel_brad Senior Member

I am thinking about putting wings on my Western SUV blade. I have 2 concerns.

1. getting too wide
    2. getting too heavy.

The blade is a 6.5 SUV Uni-mount on my 04 ranger. It kinda squats as it is. I already have heavy torsion bars in and Timbrens.

The Buyers wings look too big. I would just like to make the bade 7'. I dont need/want more than that. I only do my drive, my neighbors and my moms. The little truck and little blade is perfect to get around, BUT i am right on top of things when plowing next to them. So I would like to add a LITTLE width.

Any suggestions?

2. johnboggs21

johnboggs21 Junior Member
    from MI

Are you a handy fabricator? If it were me, I would make some wings.

3. muffy189

muffy189 Senior Member

I had an s10 with a 6.5 foot western and put wings on them made it a 8 foot blade and it handled it fine

4. Diesel_brad

Well I built this complete dump flat bed so I guess I'm handy:D
    [​IMG]

5. Dubl0Vert

Dubl0Vert Senior Member

Nice Dump!

6. Diesel_brad

I found a LSX blade. I am gonna see about adapting it to my SUV quadrant

7. johnboggs21

johnboggs21 Junior Member
    from MI

well shoot if you can build something like that, then building a set of plow wings should be cake for you!

8. Diesel_brad

Decided to go with the Buyers Wings for the simplicity and ease.
    Little bigger than I wanted(8'5") but I will have to use it and see how it works. Took about hour and a half to put them on
    [​IMG]

9. Diesel_brad

UPDATE

I had the Buyers wings on last season(all of 3 storms)

The 1st snow we got this year was xmas eve. Had the plow on going thru a drive thru. JUST let off the clutch and I bumped a Bollard with the edge of the wing. It bent the piss out of my mullboard.

I pulled the buyers wings right away. I then realized the buyers wings are made from 3/16 steel. My mullboad is made from 1/16 sheet metal:dizzy:. So I decided to make some wings Similar to the plow construction.

I beat the millboard back straight. Then added some 1.5" tubing between the uprights(similar to the Pro plus). Had my metal guy bend me some 1/8" for the face. Used some 3/16 flat and cut some curved uprights out of it. Used 2x2(3/16) angle at the top and some 2x2(1/4) angle for the bottom. I stole the rubber cutting edges off the Buyers wings.

I had about 8 hours into making them. But now that I have my idea on how to make them, I could do it in about 4.

I'll post some pics up once I get the plow cleaned off later today. BTW, they work AWESOME. Should of done this in the 1st place.

10. Diesel_brad