1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Wings keep getting stuck?

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by mr hydroseed, Jan 15, 2009.

1. mr hydroseed

mr hydroseed Member

This is my first season using my 810 plow and so far I mostly love it, but I keep having problems with the wings getting either stuck open, half open or won't completly scoop. I think I just keep getting snow and ice in the moldboard like everytime I plow. it first started with the right wing not coming out, then the wings would start to scoop right off the bat just as they are extending. It has been friggen cold forever too, I went to the car wash a tried spraying some warm water in there, but didn't help at all. Does everyone have this problem? I'm starting to think I need to clear out a space in my garage when ever i'm not plowing. I have the first yr plow with the double rams on each side and was wondering if the newer plows wings spring back to the scoop position after stacking compresses them? I think it would make more sense if the scoops were spring loaded, so when you hit a curb or plow into a firm snow bank they don't activate the relief valve and straighten out. I find it to be kind of a pain to have to extend the wings out everytime I stack into a snow bank.

p.s. Is it just me, but everytime I see a truck driving around with a straight blade, it makes me feel smarter.
  2. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Yes this is a pretty common problem, I will shake mine clean every once in a while durning plowing to help this problem.
  3. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

i find that if you keep the wings in the extended position but not scooped, then shake the joystick left to right to shake the plow, that usually breaks most of the snow off the back of the wings b/c the flap back and forth.
  4. fastjohnny

fastjohnny Senior Member

Having ran a good number of 2 cylinder per wing 810's, ie older style, I'd say that some seem to stick worse than others, I've had less problems with the fabled 99 model plows, then the 01/02 year plows. To me it seems the more 'broke in' the plow is, the less the wings stick, unless you have damage to the molboard or slidebox, causing physical obstruction. Now, something to be aware of, that I first learned from Jerre, is that the small cylinder in the wings can chew an oring internally, as an internal bolt can come loose. This can cause all kinds of hydraulic problems if pieces of the oring get into the manifold and valves. It is a simple fix, once you take the cylinder apart. Not quite clear from your post, but this may be a possibility.