1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Wings are not very stong and will need help!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by John Mac, Feb 28, 2005.

1. John Mac

John Mac Senior Member

I purchased a pair of Buyer wings from Northern Tool for around $200. Installed them on my 8.2" Boss V. After the first use (just pushing snow)the rubber cutting edge bent back and no longer touched the ground. I solved that problem by welding some 1/2" steel plate to bottom of the wings in place of the rubber. The secound use the wing itself bent back, the new steel plate I used no longer touched the ground again and the wing itself was bent across the center. The steel they use is very thin. I know that some of you will say "what are you plowing dirt" ? No, I do plow parking lots with curbs and windrow snow banks back but never hit either one very hard. I did find a curb "very slow roll" and that did the damage on one side. I did not hit very hard just costing and have done this many time with my Boss for years. I bent the other side by windrowing a semi frozen bank. So I had to take the wings of completely and redo everthing. Cut the factory mouting plates off, welded 1" solid square stock to side of plow and to wing from a streight position and angled. Weld square stock to back of wing vertically for support. My point here is this, if you are going to use wings for any plowing and expect them to work you better have a welder, grinder, torch, and cutting tools. You better not mind welding to your plow and repainting it. For $200 Buyers could make a better wing!