1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Wings anyone?

Discussion in 'SNO-PRO PLOW AND ACCESSORIES by Curtis' started by Lil STX Ford, Jan 14, 2009.

1. Lil STX Ford

Lil STX Ford Senior Member

Figured I'd try a set of homemade redneck wings for my plow.. under 50$... worth a try, and seems to be doing great, just need a storm to test now..

Image000.jpg

Image001.jpg

Image002.jpg

Image003.jpg

2. Stan MI

Stan MI Member

Looks like something that might save a lot of time and money, The cost of wings and plowing time. I'll be interested to know how they work out !!

3. Lil STX Ford

with that little push it seemed to hold out good, benefits is if i ram something hard, rubber belt will bend over other then breaking anything else, left a space so wouldn't interfere with the trip edge, so a small trail is better then 8" and over left on high side.. spose to get snow over weekend so will try it for sure.

4. vamootsman

vamootsman Senior Member

So how did they work over the weekend? any tips? anything you would change? I procured an super wide single semi truck tire and am ready to start cutting and drilling

5. Lil STX Ford

didn't get snow yet, coming on Monday about 3-6 inches... so far just did small stuff around yard powder...
    So far seems it just might do... too much snow rubber will bend away if hit hard will bend also, so breaks would only be bolts... I will post pictures Monday afternoon for sure with closeups..

6. vamootsman

vamootsman Senior Member

Thanks, I'm looking forward to it!

Bruce

7. Lil STX Ford

tried it in the snow Yesterday and today....
    the rubber will bend outwards in a scoop fashion as above pictures..
    allows me to fill the blade more.
    since the rubber wings are approx 3" above ground level, it still leaves me trails as if I had no wings, but the bulk has moved saving time... I've rammed it in banks and stacked about 5 feet high, so far it seems to withhold the stress.

So to me was worth a try for moving larger amounts..

Cheers, happy plowing tymusic

Image000.jpg

Image001.jpg

Image002.jpg

8. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

why do the box wings not got clear to the pavement?

your losing a chit ton of snow that way.

9. Lil STX Ford

good question lol.... I didn't want it to interfere with the trip, my main concern was holding a full blade, but since it's a small 4.6 also didn't want to push it too much... will prob go to steel soon, belt isn't costly also, so there is possibilities in future, but I'm also very satisfied with it so far.

10. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

Not to chang the subject to much but who makes the curtis plow is it an off of western? This site is the first I have ever seen or heard of them?

11. Lil STX Ford

12. ondirtymax

ondirtymax Member

Good idea with the side's of the plow but after repeated abuse of stacking i'm sure it will rip the rubber. I too prefer my curtis over the others, most will disagree but i feel they are better built than the mainstream plows.

13. Lil STX Ford

Plow this at beginning of week, and seemed good so far, conveyor belt is a tad stronger then regular rubber belt i spose, but for under 50 bucks to play with... no lost if they rip....

Image001.jpg

Image003.jpg

14. ondirtymax

ondirtymax Member

I agree with you, very good idea............and for under $50, how can you go wrong? I'm sure we've all wasted $50 on much worse things according to our wives!

15. Lil STX Ford

lol, all my X's cost a hell of a lot more then the truck plow and rubber wings.... Playing the trucks joystick feels way nicer and complains a lot less.... ha ha

16. Lil STX Ford

Last edited: Jan 24, 2009