1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Wings and driveways?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Nova, Sep 21, 2003.

1. Nova

Nova Member

Does anyone use wings on their plow for doing driveways?

All of my plowing is backdragging onto the road, then moving the snow from the road to the end of the driveway on the lawn.

Sometimes I have to make 3 passes to get it all off the road just because the snow comes out the sides of the plow.

I think it would save a lot of time by taking it all in one pass.
  2. Highpoint

Highpoint Senior Member

We are currently using Pro Wings on all our plows. This makes the plows ranch in size from 9'3" to 9'6". We do both parking lots and driveways. We are changing over to Blizzard Plows as $$$ allow. If I had to do it over, I would try out the Turkey or Power Wings. Keeps the blade the same width but allows for much larger carrying capacities as well as more efficient clean ups.
  3. micah79

micah79 Senior Member

The blizzard 810 is much better than wings. Sometimes you will want an 8 ft plow, and other times you will want the 10 ft plow. Plus with the ability to angle each wing seperatly, you can virtually eliminate trails and extra clean up.
  4. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

To be honest, I don't think the pro-wings would help much for backdragging. It sounds like a more efficient setup would be a rear back drag plow. You could back up to the door, drop the front and rear plows, and push to the end of the driveway, then pushonto the lawn. I bet you could do most drives in two passes, instead of three. Daniels and Snowman both make good plows, I like the snowman because they make a model that is compatible with a salter as well. Most models also have clip on box ends to help contain the snow.
  5. micah79

micah79 Senior Member

Has anyone used the Turkey wings? I just checked ou the website and they look good. I want to try them on my westerns, but would like to hear any owner feedback first.
  6. Nova

Nova Member

First of all I'm happy with my 7 1/2' Western. I only do small-medium sub-division driveways, so I couldn't justify another plow, especially not something like a Blizzard.

Back plow isn't an option either, I can't justify the cost right now.

I'm just wondering if they would have any negative side effects when back dragging. I rarely ever use the plow to push, when I do it's only to scrape the driveway or when moving the back dragged snow on the road up onto the lawn. That's when I think they would really help and save time.

btw, by wings I meant Turkey Wing style, to make the plow a box, not extensions.

OBRYANMAINT PlowSite.com Veteran
    from ohio

i have wings on all four of my plows and take them off when doing driveways......because of the angle when backdragging it makes my plow hop..bad!!!!!

now i do have urethane instead of the rubber that the wing comes with
  8. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

Ok, I understand now. I thought you were trying to get more width. As for the turk-key type wings, they only work while pushing, I don't think they will help you at all for backdragging.

Then again, I don't have turk-key wings, so I can't be sure.
  9. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

NOVA........I have had a set of Turkeys for 2 seasons.
    Quite happy with them for my usage. I don't do
    driveways anymore just my businesses.
    I backdrag were necessary with them off first.
    Then slap them on and push away !

I have a PIA "T " shaped lot and all the white gold has to
    be pushed out back on my field. The turkeys form a
    nice box So no banks while pushing or winrowing
    because I have to push from right to left and not crush
    any cars, doors, trees etc. Best thing they ride in
    a channel and float over bumps, humps, etc. and
    slide up when the plow trips too !

Believe me we had 150 plus inches of white gold here
    last year!

I was toooooo cheap to get a V plow so 200 bucks for
    a set of turkeys was for me!..................geo

BTW: Rooster has a brand new set for sale cheap!
    Drop him a e-mail.
  10. Nova

Nova Member

Thanks for the input guys.

Looks like my money would be better spent on a poly edge.
  11. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

One last thought, What about a backdrag edge from Western. They are on the new Pro-Plus plows. I haven't heard anything regarding how well they work, but it might be something else to think about.:confused: