1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Winging in Weare NH

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by 1sthippy, Jan 20, 2007.

1. 1sthippy

1sthippy Member

Here is my 94 Chevy 1500. Its got a 7 1/2' fisher and a 4 1/2' wing plow a buddy and I fashoned on the side. Its a stationary mount to the frame, and slides into channel iron that looks like a step when removed. It also has a 48" Whelen Edge 8 strobe lightbar that my son installed. Took the pictures in the first snow NH got so far, 1-19-07.

Plow3.jpg

Plow4.jpg

Plow5.jpg

Plow2.jpg

2. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Cool truck. Does that wing not scrape the ground? Good thing you have that mirror so you can see where it is. Looks like fun.

3. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

Do you have controlls in the cab for that wing? It doesnt look like you do. It kinda looks dangrous to me. Other than that, the plow and truck look good. Atleast someone got snow!

4. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

It probably works well to push back the wind row some on a road & let the Fisher hit it next time around (if at all) -- definitely pushes snow away.

It might also have applications (probably not in Weare NH) in parking lots, again pushing back the wind row & letting the front plow scrape it clean on the next pass. How often are we pushing in one direction, say away from a building, and the windrow gets heavy enough that the front plow won't push it anymore? The wing would help that some.

5. Oshkosh

Oshkosh PlowSite.com Addict

I like it!!!

I Like it.....Thinking outside the box....Looks good..
    If it where mine I would have to add some sort of cushion or dampening just because I would hit something.lol

6. 1sthippy

1sthippy Member

Answers to comments

Hello everyone,
    Banksy-No it's about six inches off the ground.
    Premierland-No controls,it just slides in and held with two pins.
    Yardmedic-Exactly, No spill off the Fisher when I helped a freind do a mobilehome park
    and parking lot.
    Oshkosh-Hard stuff will turn the P/U sideways with no weight in it

7. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

Very cool. Can you get more pics of the rack you have the strobe bar mounted on? Did you make it yourself?

8. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

I'd worry about the small box & adequate ballast to keep the truck going where you want it, but otherwise I think it was a good implement

9. Oshkosh

LOL been there...

LoL, I had the same thing happen to the Oshkosh doing 20mph....pushed a wing load against some pac and next thing I knew I was crabbing down the highway...Always a thrill....

10. Rampart Ranger

Rampart Ranger Senior Member

A wing can be VERY effective on the larger rigs.

Around here it is best if the wing is a benching type. Able to kick back windrow 1-4 ft high at toe, and heel also adjustable. Never seen a benching wing for pickup types.

11. Rampart Ranger

The mid or rear mount wings are the worst for that.

I once (ashamedly) put a midmount on a tandem into a guard rail. Cut through the six 8x8 wooden posts on the terminal end like butter, never felt a thing till she started hitting the steel posts in the running line. Pulled the steering axle right in, no way to pull out. When I got her stopped I had peeled 75 ft of rail like a tuna can.

Needless to say, I had some work to do after the snow quit.:cry:

12. Rampart Ranger

I can also recall benching back I25 after a good snow. Benching wing running just atop guardrail height. Had to stop and probe with pole where ever I saw a bump, multiple completely buried vehicles in the ROW.

My old boss remembers cutting the roof off a sedan buried in the windrow. Thank God no one was inside!

13. 1sthippy

1sthippy Member

Thanks for the interest

Hello,
    First Time Out - I'll try tomorrow for the pictures ( 1/21/07 ). A friend of mine makes them. Steel or aluminum with or without lights -NO strobe bars- but, mounts and brackets
    for one. Stop/turn, marker and back-up or work lights can be installed. Steel ones are painted your color. I can get you a strobe bar.
    YardMedic - I leave the weight out now so it will slide away from the wing's wind row if it's
    to much for it.

14. Rampart Ranger

CDOT uses wings quite a bit here in CO. The public is usually wary, but every once in a while some fool ignores the law (illegal to pass plow) and the strobes.

My son had some such idiot drive over his CDOT wing last month. Opened the SUV like a ham can, no damage to Josh's plow. No injuries, thank God.

15. Rampart Ranger

Please, put strobes on her. For your sake and the public's. Won't necessarily prevent an accident - but at least you will have done your part.

16. Oshkosh

I still remember...

I still remember the first time I set the wing down on top of the gaurd rail.....Holy Cr#p I thought the truck was coming apart.lol I ran 11' wing blades on three of the trucks.The guys out in NY seem to like 14' blades on theirs.lol
    I had at least two flood lights shinning on the wing plus a swing out strobe for the wing plus DOT reflector tape on the arms and the back of the blade and would still have people try and pass me on the right with a full blade rolling off of it....Massholes go figure....The Ex Mass Pike truck had strobes right on the back of the wing blade...
    It used to crack me up some yuppie would fly by me in his/her SUV doing 60mph in the middle of a storm and a few miles up the road it would be buried up to its doors in the median....

17. lakeeffect

lakeeffect Senior Member

11' wings?? What happened to the rest of the wing???LOL

Double 14' are the only way to go. Send some of those yuppies up here, they would really soil themselves when they come up on a huge V plow and 2 14' wings coming at them.:)

18. dlnimsy

dlnimsy Senior Member

gets the job done

neccesity is the mother of invention.Nice job. How many twelve packs did it take to make? LoL. just shows you don't need to spend alot to move snow where ya want.Hey Oshkosh i also found out what it feels like ontop of the gaurdrail, learned to lift it up real fast i did. I had a 14 footer on my Cat 12 (size does matter) and a 12 footer on my Wabco. the extra 2 feet made a big diference in some places. I'd love to see more photos as the winter gos on. thanx.

19. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

Too bad it isn't street legal.

20. Oshkosh

Shhhhhhh

Shh, I am sure he is only using it on a private road and takes it off for transport....RIGHT!!!!:nod: