1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

wing vs v plow vs box vs straight blade.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by FurFishGame, Dec 4, 2013.

1. FurFishGame

FurFishGame Member

I do snowremoval for my self, and for a company, all my lots with the exception of one coffee shop, are 150 foot drive ways with parking lots 100 by 100 average. on my truck i have a straight blade, kinda sucks for the lots, nice for the drives and back blading around the house (of which i do alot of) also kinda night to have the 7.6 foot for tight spots.

i was thinking of turning it into a box for the lots and kinda squeaking by for the drives, but then you have a 18in wide section around the house you cant back blade. hard to windrow.

at work i have a fisher i believe XLS, its got wings, can go from 8 to 10 foot straight blade, and scoop mode. very expensive. great for cutting in huge commercial lots, dont know if its worth the expence for residental?

never used a v plow. also more that a straight blade. how small can you buy v plows? (based on it at its widest setting, as a straight blade)

is it worth hte expence? give me the pros and cons, im stuck with my truck now, next year will be getting new truck and plow likely a, post 2000 f 350. give me the skinny next year will be my 3rd year, and ill be branching out on my own.
  2. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

What kind of snow do you deal with? Does it fall heavy and wet, or does it drift and pack? Or does it always come fluffy and push easy? For wet, heavy, or drifting snow the V is the best choice. Also better for driveways, imo. Otherwise, the expanding plow is a time saver.

You know what, I will say V plow. Final answer.

I think Boss makes an 8'2" V, and I know Fisher makes an 8'6" V. I prefer Fisher.
  3. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Fisher makes a 7'6" vee and I think western does as well. Personally I would go with an 8'6" vee with a set of wings. Just my .02
  4. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

If I live where you do I would own a V plow
    V plows come in 6.6 7.5 8.2 9.2 or 8.6 9.6 10' from boss, fisher , western, Meyers , Snowdog, Google the size you want should show you all kinds of models
  5. MowingisMaddnes

MowingisMaddnes Member