1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

wing question

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by Detroitdan, Nov 26, 2005.

1. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

Got my Blizzard back, all fixed, except I noticed one wing is working incorrectly. The dealer was closed when I picked it up, so I wont be able to ask him til monday. Here's what it is doing. Right wing slides out all the way, then angles forward like it is supposed to. Left wing angles first, THEN extends. It works and is usable, but it definitely doesnt look right. I'm thinking maybe two wires are mixed up, or two hydraulic lines. Anybody seen this? What shoud I look at?
  2. Detroitdan

dealer says probably stuck valve and I should use it for a while, see if it frees up. Still surprised none of you Blizzard gurus have ever seen this.
  3. EIB

EIB Senior Member

I think it is a spring unhooked. I do believe that is what holds the wing straight until it gets to the end of its travel. Try moving the wing by hand. Do you feel any spring tension? As far as valves stuck, the wing goes in and out, so everything is working in the pump and manifold.
  4. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Mine was doing that yesterday...But I dont know why. :rolleyes:
  5. Lazer Man

Lazer Man Senior Member
    from SW Pa.

EIB is right, sounds like a broken spring to me or was unhooked and nor rehooked up. to all the guys with Blizzards I would add the second spring to each wing as the plow already has the holes in place for them. Adding the second spring does a few things, it takes and shares the tension between the both springs and less of a chance of breaking. Also the wing will hold better in the straight out position when backdragging, with one spring the wing tends to fold forward whie backdragging with the addtion of the second spring wing holds nice and straight.

Bob :D :D :D :salute:
  6. fastjohnny

fastjohnny Senior Member

What year 810?

Detroit Dan, my guess is you have an early version 810, thus the reason for running ATF. That is what the earlier ones used. You don't have 'wing springs' Those came out in 2003. Your dealer was correct in the diagnosis of valves sticking. Get it warmed up, thawed out, and all should be good. Is this plow new to you? When was it last serviced as far as fluid change? There could be moisture in the lines, freezing up in the valves.

7. Detroitdan

yup, it's new to me, haven't even got to use it yet. It is one of the first ones made, I guess the wings were different on the early ones? I bought it used from a guy who bought it used but never put it on his truck. So I don't know how long it has sat out on the ground in the weather. I probably should change out the fluid, maybe I'll get to that soon, I'm planning on changing my trucks tranny fluid in the next few days. The dealer said he doesnt know too much about the old ones because he wasnt a dealer back then, but he said I can run it like it is and it won't hurt anything, and hopefully it will straighten itself out.