1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

wing problems on 8611 LP

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by KCAPXIS, Aug 29, 2007.

1. KCAPXIS

KCAPXIS Senior Member
    from NE PA.

is any one out there with the LPs having problems with the wing box??

the wing boxes on the 810 and the 8611 are built very well... BUT the wing boxes on the LPs are nothing like the the ones used on the other ones... I have 2 8611LP new in Dec 06 installed on Ford F350s. I have major failure on 3 of the 4 boxes... looking for any one else with similar problems.. when I talked to the shop that installed them and talked to Blizzard they act as if I am the only one that ever had any problems...

Thanks Karl KCAPXIS@PTD.NET

2. fulltiltwill

fulltiltwill Senior Member

What are they doing?

What is going wrong with them. I had problems with the pins being too short so the wing would over extend.

3. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

No pins on the LP's Will.

The problem was addressed by the factory a couple of years back and theres a factory fix for the boxes. We went a couple of steps further on our Mod / Fix and have had good success with the ones that have been running the last two years w/o problems.

The dealer should be able to get the repair parts. IF the boxes are too far gone then you will need new ones. PM or email me and send me some picts of the one's that you have and I'll give em a quick look to let you know.

Jerre

P.S. the new tech line does not know what the old guys did at the original factory.

4. KCAPXIS

KCAPXIS Senior Member
    from NE PA.

At the time I had these installed there was a factory upgrade piece that had to be welded inside of the wing box... it was only appx 2"x3" x1/4" angle piece welded on the inside... that tells me that some one from Blizzard knew that something was a little weak.. any way it was no were enough... the boxes starter to fold right where the added piece was added..

5. Jerre Heyer

That's why we went farther with the updates than factory. Ended up adding 4 pcs. Two top and two bottom with additional bracing took care of the problem.

Send me some picts of your slide boxes if you could.

Jerre

6. KCAPXIS

KCAPXIS Senior Member
    from NE PA.

Jerry: Thanks for your interest and help with this problem.. Plow #1 is at the dealer waiting to be fixed ( I dropped it off back in march ) Plow #2 is in summer storage ,I will however get some pic of this and pass them around> thanks Karl

7. KCAPXIS

KCAPXIS Senior Member
    from NE PA.

P1010039.JPG

P1010040.JPG Here is the problem... and Blizzard still says that there is no knowen problems! ?????????????

P1010039.JPG

P1010040.JPG

8. Jerre Heyer

Guess that one is a little late for the reinforcement pieces:dizzy:

That's new slide box time and some attention to the wing. Classic failure on that one. Top tore out in the front and then bent in the back and caused the wing to look like it was drooping down when extended all the way out. Strange thing is it probably still worked that way.

They should replace that slide box. I'm sure that it fits into the repair group of plows as it does not have the repair pieces installed.

FYI the TSB covers Serial # 8611LP-00001 to 8611LP-0016 and 051219650001B0863 thru 060306650036B0863 and includes install of part #55075 in the top and bottom of each slide box.

Jerre

9. KCAPXIS

KCAPXIS Senior Member
    from NE PA.

Both plows had the little piece welded inside of the box that was to stop this problem.. and NO the wing will not go in or out with a problem like this....
    That after thought piece was the one dollar fix that they should of spent ten dollars on.

10. Jerre Heyer

The problem is that DD only allowed for the pieces to be welded one on the top and one on the bottom in the TSB. Also a lot of dealers ( yours included ) didn't go to the trouble of prepping the inside and OUTSIDE of the areas that needed welded. If you look at the top of the slide box towards the front of the plow you can see that the piece was welded inside but the outside where the original piece is at was not welded closed and to connect with the inside piece.

By putting the two additional pieces on the back top and bottom of the slide boxes it reduces the chance of the crush seen on yours. Most of the one's we've had to repair still would funciton just would not come out of the blade without alot of hammer work.

Jerre