1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Wing plows

Discussion in 'Government Property Snow Removal' started by sven1277, Feb 6, 2011.

1. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

Just wondering why state DOT doesn't use more of them. Seems like a great way to use fewer trucks during a storm and save $.

2. Winter Land Man

Winter Land Man Senior Member

You guys should put them on every big truck you guys are running.

3. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

Every Maine DOT truck has a wing on it. Nobody in Maine has a big plow truck with out a wing. My uncle says "if you don't have a wing you mite as well just park it."

4. bighornjd

bighornjd Senior Member

Half the guys down this way can barely handle operating a truck with just a front plow and spreader. Throw a wing in the mix and there would be a lot more missing mailboxes, guard rails, and parked cars, LOL...

5. Oshkosh

Oshkosh PlowSite.com Addict

Wings are a very efficient way to handle more snow less times.
    Wings allow you to really move the snow back off the shoulder,open drainage,cut down bankings for visibility.Remove snow on corners without tracking your rear tires threw it.
    Contractors for the most part will only supply what is required.There are exceptions but the majority of companies will supply the bare minimum.
    Snow is a catch 22 ,you have great years and then there are the 25 hour seasons that dont cover the overhead.

6. Kuzanut

Kuzanut Senior Member

The private company my local village hired to plow the last two winters has 4 trucks, 2 with wings 2 without. it seems like depending on the amount of snow, aprox 4" or less they remove the wings. and for the storms 4" and more they install the wings but only use them for the final cleanup passes at the end of the storm. personal it pisses me off that they are taking advantage like that.

7. SnowPusherVT

SnowPusherVT Junior Member

how are they taking advantage? They are spending more money taking them off and on than running them and doing a proper job it will bite them sooner or later. if your plowing roads you gotta push em back.
    Frank

8. Kuzanut

Kuzanut Senior Member

Sorry if i wasn't clear. when they use the wing plows they finish up right at the end of the storm. they times they don't use the wing plows i see the trucks out almost a day later.

9. SnowPusherVT

SnowPusherVT Junior Member

I wast finding fault with what you said I was saying that it will become rather evident that the wings are necessary to do a good job. Don't understand why they would try to plow without it, and that it must cost them more to take the wings off and put them on than just running them.
    I would like to get a hold of their contract, the town I live in has it in the contract that it is to be winged back at time of plowing, but the roads here are to narrow to get the white line on so...... I'm not plowing to the edge of the blacktop on these corners! Most of them drop 10-15' into the lake, so I'll wing it!!
    Frank

10. bighornjd

bighornjd Senior Member

Do you know for a fact they are taking advantage? How do you know they don't charge less when the wings are off? Maybe the town has stated they don't want to pay extra for wings during specific snowfall amounts? Not saying you might not be right, but want to make sure you know this for sure and aren't just making assumptions. The town I work for has a set of specs for equipment that is the minimum. Anything I do over and above that is of no benefit to me unless they pay extra, which they won't. They don't request a wing in the spec. If I ran one anyway, i would get paid the same rate as without one, get done in less time, make less money, and spend more on equipment and maintenance. Doesn't make much sense.

11. toyotaplow

toyotaplow Member

I've lived in 4 different areas here in Canada and I have never seen a municipal/DOT truck without a wing.

12. pohouse

pohouse Senior Member

Here in Lincoln NE, the city does not own a wing. All tandum dumps have 10' blades. Some streets are narrow. It is possible to plow out the corners of an intersection without a wing. Takes some skill and manueverability without backing up, but it can be done in the neighborhoods. I think if the city had wings, there would be alot more damage to curbs, lawns, mailboxes, cars, and fire hydrants.