1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

wing plows on p/u's ?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by justa hick, Nov 7, 2000.

1. justa hick

justa hick Junior Member

does anybody use wing plows on pick up's i saw a add for one and was wondering if anybody uses them and how they work
  2. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

They were used on 1 tons a lot more than they are today. However I have never sean a wing on a pick up. The wings are out there, only they won't perform like the ones the DOT has.

To have a wing that works like the DOT's ya need a truck like the DOT's. Be ready to drop 9K for the plow and wing, with out a mounting frame.

There only real use is in road plowing, they won't help plowing lots, only get in the way.

3. justa hick

justa hick Junior Member

The wings i saw were for 1/2 3/4 and mini trucks. the wings were only 4' i think they were made out west somwhere . was thinkin the price wasnt too bad on them somewhere around 2500 or 3000. i'm still lookin for the flyer they sent me.
  4. bolensdriver

bolensdriver Senior Member

I could purchase a wing plow from Wayne Brown for arond $2,500 - $3,500 to fit a truck with a standard mount front plow frame, or $3,500 - $4,500 to fit a minute mount frame.

These are rugged plows.
  5. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

i wouldnt waste my money
  6. bolensdriver

I'm going to be plowing roads in the winter after this one and I'll need to purchase something :bluebounc
  7. wfd44

wfd44 Senior Member
    from Maine

Bolensdriver - Take a look at the sidewing. Their website is www.sidewing.net. You can also do a search on here for sidewing. There are a couple of guys on here that run them and they swear bye it and some of them are inpretty serious snowfall areas. I saw on at the fair a couple of years ago and they are quite rugged in construction and ingenious in design.
  8. bolensdriver

I saw msmilligan I think his name is and it's pretty nice
  9. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Personally I was looking at them for these wide-open asphalt parking lots I've had (grocery stores etc.).... My 9'2" Boss V plow is good and all but another few feet would sure speed that job up...

I was considering building one out of a scrap straight blade... Maybe a summer project for next year, along with rebuilding that rotten sander I got screwed on from eBay last year....
  10. bolensdriver

How much did the sander cost?
  11. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Too Much!

I paid around $4-500US I don't remember exactly Looked half-a$$ed in the pics, supposed to have some rust. Didn't mention that the 1/4" thick c-channel framework was completely rotted thru and buckling etc. Very little to work with. Needs a completely new frame and some major surgery to the hopper. Chain drive doesn't look so healthy either.

I WILL fix it, mainly because I refuse to take a total beating on this, but would have happily paid twice as much for a good one...

Thats the problem with buying sight-unseen.....