1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Wing plow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Haden61, Oct 8, 2002.

1. Haden61

Haden61 Member
    from Iowa

The company is going with 2-19' Storm wing plows, I get one for my 4490 Case. This thing looks awsome, the company boss says it does it all. Angles every which way, scoops, makes into a pusher if need be. I'll get some pics when I can. Has anybody else used these yet? I can't waite untill it snows! This going to be one stout rig, 19' that scoops at 16' and a 15.5' back plow. Bring it on! Haden

2. SnoJob67

SnoJob67 Senior Member

I got a quote on a 10' backhoe trip edge box from a Storm dealer. They wanted $5100 +. I found another manufacturer that will sell me pushers with polyurethane edges for $2900.

They have a decent product, but it is not worth slightly less than double another manufacturer's price in this case. I'm not trying to be contrary, but thought you and others that are interested may want to check out other brands just for price comparison's sake.

I wasn't as shocked about the price as I would have been had I not talked to the factory rep. He pretty much said that they don't care to compete on price. Uh, yeah, me either! However, my prices cannot be almost double what the median price is in my service area or I will be eating alot of oatmeal!
    :rolleyes:

3. Haden61

Haden61 Member
    from Iowa

They did compare 2 wing plows. Priced the same but storm could scoop and box the other could not. They did not compare the wing plow to a box,I'm sure that would be less. Trip edge is worth some extra in my opion. If poly or rubber were the answer ,western, fisher, meyer, boss, etc. would not have trip, just an edge of some type.

4. SnoJob67

SnoJob67 Senior Member

I wonder if the dealer I talked to gave me the wrong price. Either way, it doesn't matter. You are right, trip edge is worth something, just not $2200! Ouch!

Western, Fischer, Meyer nor boss make box plows, therefore it really isn't a fair comparison to compare ANY traditional plow to a box plow regarding edge performance. With skids on both sides, a trip edge will work differently than on a truck since the majority of the weight will be carried on those skids.

I wasn't saying to compare a wing plow to a box plow, just pointing out the fact that it may pay to shop other brands.

5. Haden61

Haden61 Member
    from Iowa

I don't know what trip is worth exactly either, maybe $2200 is a bit much, maybe if we shop more we can get closer than $2200, say $700. My thought and comparision is directed that a piece of equipment should trip for protection and is why all front plows do.