1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Wing Plow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Grn Mtn, Sep 21, 2004.

1. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

I just saw a bed mounted wing plow in an ad and can't find the ad now. I'm doing commercial/Residential and have a ram2500. Anyone know where I can get info on a bed mounted wing plow?
  2. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

Green Mountain,

I've been a Sidewing dealer for a few years now. The network is expanding across the US but you may be forced to travel or have one shipped in.

3. Boast Enterpris

Boast Enterpris Senior Member

These are awesome. I wish I lived where you needed something like this. It would be hard to pay for it around here. Just out of curiosity how much does something like the one in the picture cost? :rolleyes:
  4. Grn Mtn

good info

thank you jerre, just the info i was looking for. there seems to be a dealer near me, i'll be checking it out in the morning.
  5. nsmilligan

nsmilligan PlowSite.com Veteran

Could this be your Dodge? Cut your plowtime in half. I've got over a 1000 hours on this plow in 2 seasons, it's worth every penny. :drinkup:

plow sidewing 027 (Small).jpg
  6. nsmilligan

Even help out the big guys!

plow sidewing 014 (Custom) (2).jpg
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2004
  7. PSDF350

PSDF350 Senior Member

nice rig ns milligan
  8. Boast Enterpris

Boast Enterpris Senior Member

:D That Makes Me Want To Move!! :D
  9. Grn Mtn

looks great Bill

Nice pict, okay got some questions. Did you have to compensate for the uneven weight distribution in the bed? Do tree branches ever catch the chain holding up the wing? did you have to modify the spreader so it wouldn't mess with the rear attachment point? Can you still plow residential with it on or is it a pain? Is it easy to take on and off? What else should I know before getting one?
  10. nsmilligan

To Answer your questions
    As to weight distribution No, With the spearder empty and no bags of salt the truck sits a little lower on the right side, but not enough to effect it. When the spreader is full and an extra 8oo lbs of salt on back it's not even noticable.
    Never nag a tree branch catch the chain.
    Absolutly no modifications to the spreader, the cylinder that extends a\ the plow attaches to a 2" ball in the receiver hitch. If your spreader mounts IN the recever hitch then a small modification to attach the ball to the spreader, would be required.. Jerre Heyer in Erie would be able to gear just about anything up.
    It's great for residentials, on narrow one angle the front plow to the LEFT and put the wing out and you'll clear a 12" + path in 1 push.
    It takes about the same amount of time to mount unmount as a Fisher minute mount. If it takes you more then 2 minutes there's something wrong.

11. pbeering

pbeering Senior Member

Roughly how much does this set-up run and what has the collective experience been on payback?
  12. nsmilligan

For price quotes you should PM Jerre Heyer above, or visit http://www.sidewing.net to find your nearest dealer It can easily cut your route time half depending on what kind of plowing your doing. If you have an 8' front plow adding the wing will mean you can clear close to 12' in a single pass. Also you'll find the truck will push more snow with the wing down, then without it, that's the reason it's patented. It was originally developed in Sweden. Do a seacrh on this site there's lots more pics of it in action.
    AS for pay back, if your doing 20K a season now with the wing you should be able to do close to 30K in the same amount of time, so it would pay for itself in less then 1/2 a season.

13. Grn Mtn

Thanks again Bill

Thanks again for your first hand input, I'm looking at one in a couple of weeks just outside of Buffalo, NY. Can't wait. The dealer said its a little under $4,000. Pricey, but I think it should pay off like you said
  14. jiriki87

jiriki87 Member

grn mtn,
    I have a sidewing plow for sale off of my old truck.
    Email me at jiriki87@yahoo.com

Make me an offer I used the plow several times last year.