1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Wing Piston

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by Essential, Jan 14, 2008.

1. Essential

Essential Junior Member

I have a blizzard 8/10 and for some reason the wing piston keeps bending. When this happens the plow is usable, the wing wont retract, I can use it in either 10' mode or bucket mode, but will not retract. Its not an expensive fix, but its happend once a year so far, not all on the same side. I was wondering if anyone else has this issue.
    Thanks

2. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

Maybe you should have the pressure relief checked on the wing cylinders.

3. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

There were some that had either the hoses backwards from the factory or the assembler screwed up the routing of the hoses, so the wings did not have any pressure relief. Check and make sure the hoses are correct.

4. fastjohnny

fastjohnny Senior Member

I am with Mark O. Who assembled the hoses to the cylinders?

5. Essential

Essential Junior Member

Portsmouth ford installed it, How would I check if the hoses are backwards or not?

6. fastjohnny

fastjohnny Senior Member

Confirm with your Hydraulic Valve & Hose Port Guide

Also, read this, from the assembly manual:

Connect the hydraulic hoses to their respective adapters on
    the manifold. Hose 60223 Ports #1 & #2, Hose P/N 60273
    Port #3, Hose P/N 60274 Port #4, Hose P/N 60224 Ports #8
    & #9. NOTE: All hoses, except #1 &#2 (angle cylinders)
    should be routed through the triangular openings in the Aframe.
    Position these hoses over the A-frame angle and to
    their respective manifold ports. NOTE: The positions for the
    rod- and base-end slide box hoses. The hoses that operate
    the retract functions (rod) of the cylinders are closest to the
    base of each cylinder. The hoses that operate the extend
    functions (base) of the cylinders are closest to the rod of
    each cylinder.

7. sweetlou48096

sweetlou48096 Junior Member
    from 48096

Well, like an automobile, the more bells and whistles you get on any vehicle, the more to go wrong, the more dollars out of your pocket. And, as any plower knows, THE WEAKEST part of any plow is the outer edge of the pushing blade. The concept is a good one, but I was sceptical about all the moving parts and in Michigan if your plow can't retract back to 9' you can't transport it back to the shop.
    I went with the HINIKER SCOOP, concept being the same but fixed 20 degree angles and like yours.....man does it move the snow. I out push every V-plow around.

8. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

Essential, almost every on of them that has bent a wing cyl was installed with the hoses in the wrong locations.

Hose from port # 8 goes at the port closest to the wing end of the drivers side
    Hose from port # 7 Goes at the port closest to the center of the blade on the drivers side.

Hose from port # 9 Goes at the port closest to the wing end passenger side'
    Hose from port #10 goes at the port closest to the center of the blade passenger side

Coming from my brother who fixes a bunch of them.

IF the wings operate backwards from the switch then check that they didn't swap the coils ( dealers try this when they are stumped )

Drivers extend is S10 Drivers retract is S9
    Pas extend is S2 pas retract is S1

If the still are backward then you need to pull the control back apart and swap the blue wires on one wing switch and the red wires on the other one.

J

9. fastjohnny

fastjohnny Senior Member

Jerre, how come you don't write those manuals, your answer is much easier to understand than the manual.

10. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

LOL, cause I'm just a hick from a podunk town in PA that fiddles around with stuff and really doesn't know what he's doing.

J

11. Mark Oomkes

You're absolutely correct. Blizzard plows are the biggest POS's on the planet. Too dang many moving parts, just like V blades. Stickers fall off. Paint isn't worth a ****.

As for transport width, might want to check and recheck the law bud. It is 8' 6" on state roads and county roads that adopt that statute. Not 9'. Other than a few states--PA--the federal reg is 8' 6". Not to mention if you angle your plow, you will reduce the width, so that sort of blows that theory out of the water, but what do you expect with comments like that? :rolleyes:

PS I'll out plow your Scoop plow with my too many moving parts plow every day of the week too. Take your pick, either my Power Plows or SpeedWing.

PPS Don't forget, they're too heavy and will wear the front end of your truck faster.

12. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

I was waiting for Mark to respond to that one.

13. abbert55

abbert55 Senior Member

I'll Put my 860 SpeedWing up against ANY Wee (sorry V) plow or poop (sorry scoop) plow anyday. I've plowed with alot of equipment the last 3+ decades and there IS a BLIZZARD DIFFERANCE:nod:
    Abbert

14. Mark Oomkes

Am I that predictable? :D ;)

15. Essential

Essential Junior Member

I did find that the hoses did seem to be backwards on the wing pistons. We have not had a storm since I have swapped them, but looking at diagrams, and looking at the new plow I have, it seems swapping the hoses should fix the problem.
    btw, even with all the extra moving parts.....I would gladly keep my blizzard and go up against any Vplow!