1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Wing on v plow creeps back

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Makndust, Dec 14, 2005.

1. Makndust

Makndust Senior Member

Any of you guys have this happen. I just picked up 2 of the older rt2 V plows. On one of them the left wing creeps back when extended. I am going to pull the valve body out tomorrow and see if I can see a bad o -ring. Is this common. If it is, what should I look for.

Tim Hartwell
  2. Ice Scream

Ice Scream Member

The first thing I would check would be the seloniod valve. Pull off the coil and check to see if there is a buldge in the shaft. If there is replace it. If not check the relief vavle, tighten it a 1/4 turn to start then try it, if that doesn't change, replace the valve.
  3. lumps

lumps Senior Member

mine does the same thing... left wing even... let me know if you get it figured out
  4. Samjde

Samjde Junior Member

wing creeps back

Had this problem for half a winter, had the valve body cleaned 3 times and would work fine for awhile then the creep would come back. Then found the problem a bad ram, replaced and have not had a problem for two years now. Sam
  5. Makndust

Makndust Senior Member

My dealer told me to switch the two wing cylinder hoses at the top of the valve body. That will tell my if it is the selinoid or if it is the wing cylinder. I havn't had the time to try it yet but will let you know what happens.
  6. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

So next time you plow functions will be swapped R wing function will control the L wing?
    Solenoids are cheep. If it is not the cause it is still a Good idea to carry a spare. I would try the new Solenoid first. and clean the valve while your there. JmO:waving:
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2005
  7. Makndust

Makndust Senior Member

I went out and swapped the hydralic hoses for the wings. The right wing crept back then. That tells me that the problem is in the valvebody somewhere. I ordered new orings and installed them on the selinoid valve and the relief valve. I put it all back to gether and tried it on christmas. The left wing still creeps back. What next? Bad selinoid? I think that I will call my boss dealer and see if he has any ideas.
  8. Hammer

Hammer Junior Member

It would be a good idea to flush the fluid from the system periodically. And chances are it's the Solenoid Valve that is allowing the wing to drift back.
  9. 3bladz

3bladz Senior Member

I think those have check valves on the top of the valve body. There should be three round cylinders sticking up. I can't remember if they have an adjustment on them or not, but they should line up with the hoses for each wing. Swap them and see if the problem follows. I think there are o rings in there too. It has been over 5 years since I had one of these so if anyone has more specifics please jump in. Any way take a look and see if this helps and post back anything thight might jog my memory.
  10. DJs Lawncare

DJs Lawncare Member

I have a new this season 9'2" Poly V. I had a problem 3rd plow with the left wing not always extending out ( or if it did, it took forever). I took it to the dealer and they replaced the ram. Now I am having a problem with the left wing moving forward when I try to backdrag. Are the rams this much of a problem? I don't feel like going back to the dealer for this time and time and time again. If it is a recurring problem is boss working on a solution for it?
  11. Makndust

Makndust Senior Member

The Boss plows have an issue with wings moving forward because they have one way cylinders. They rely on spring pressure to hold the wing from moving forward. You can buy the "smart lock" cylinders and this is suppose to correct that problem. I have 3 Boss V's and it doesn't bother me that much because I don't do very much back dragging. I have never tried the smart lock cylinders. I have heard from the dealer that they will correct your problem though. My left wing is still creeping back on the one plow that I mentioned above. I think that I will replace that one cylinder this summer and see if that corrects the problem. If it doesn't, I will get the valve body flushed and see if that corrrects the problem.
  12. DJs Lawncare

DJs Lawncare Member

I have smart lock cylinders though.
  13. Makndust

Makndust Senior Member

If that is the case I would talk to the dealer because mine told me that with the smart locks, the wing movement would be eliminated. Another thing to do is to e-mail Boss directly. I have gotten onto their site and done that quite often with questions. Their tech department is always very good about responding to my e-mails within just hours not days.
  14. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

Are you SURE you have smartlock cylinders?? I know you BOUGHT them, but I'd check that one that still creeps back when you backdrag.

I've got them, and I can't get them to creep forward for nothing, unless I hook something.