1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Wing Lights

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Alaska Boss, Jan 13, 2006.

1. Alaska Boss

Alaska Boss PlowSite.com Addict
    from Alaska

I have a Boss 9.2' V-blade with wings that make it right at 11' wide when straight. As everyone with a plow knows, the plow lights, when adjusted properly for driving, tend to point up a little too high when you drop your blade to the ground. And so, when plowing at night, especially during a snowstorm, this makes it even harder to see what you're doing, obstacles you don't want to hit, etc. One of the few drawbacks to having a super-wide plow, is being able to see clearly the ends of your wings, which are even further outside of the "light-path" of your plow lights. So,I decided to try & add a small set of lights to my plow lightbar, that are angled down & to the side more,... that are just perfectly pointed to where I want to see when plowing at night, & since I had an extra set lying around, that's what I did. They are rather small, but are the "xenon-white" type bulbs,... (55w & supposedly 50% brighter than halogen), & the results are great !! The light is alot brighter "white" than even the stock Boss "Smartlights", which are quite bright already,... but also seems to reflect less against falling snow,.. which is good too. I mounted a relay under the hood of my truck, with a switch on the dash, & so just had 1 wire to run with the plow harness. I didn't want anything too big that would be in the way & restrict visibility, & so these things seemed just right. Anyway... just another idea to throw out there in case this might be useful to anyone else who wants to improve their night-time vision of plowing with super-wide blades,... This is my truck with the blade at full-width,.... :D :salute:

11' wide Boss V-blade with wings.JPG
  2. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

And this is what the "wing lights" look like,...

Wing lights (2).JPG
  3. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

They're small, so they don't restrict much more visibility while driving...

Wing lights off (2).JPG
  4. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

Wing light close-up (2).JPG
  5. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

But these little buggers put out alot of light for their size,.... (it's better at night)... :D :salute:

Wing lights on (2).JPG
  6. murphyslaw

murphyslaw Senior Member

I have olmost the same setup on my trucks It works great and adds alot more light where needed.
  7. danno

danno Senior Member

Nice! Gave me an idea too!
  8. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

looks good Alaska boss. i need to do something simular so i can see better.
  9. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

I like your ballast, I see it through the back window, must be good if the truck breaks down in the middle of snowhere:D

As to the lights, great idea, definately doing that next year.

TRUE TURF LAWN Senior Member

What do you need all them lights for?
  11. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

it gets dark in Alaska and in lots with no lighting. last year i plowed a green house and there was not a single light except around a pole barn. was nice having the lights on my back rack so i could see while backing up. :)
  12. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

I'm sorry True Turf but that was a silly question, if my truck wasn't already having a hissy-fit over voltage I'd have a tons more auxiliary lighting. Why have potentially dangerous blind spots? Same reason I use the more expensive reflective snow markers: When your tired or just going through the motions your "extra" lights reflect back at you as your about to back into whatever it is, or help you see the "drop off" in the corner of the lot.

To me its like asking the sky-diver why he needs a parachute:D
  13. ECS

ECS Senior Member

Those added lights look like a great idea for increased visability. Thanks for the great idea.

KCAPXIS Senior Member
    from NE PA.

Good looking setup, cant go wrong with lots of lights!! if you dont need them just leave them off.

What wing setup do you have on your plow?? factory or custom made??
    I have a Fisher 9-6 V and I would love to add wings. cant find any fisher-type and some of the aftermarket ones wont hold up.

could you send me pics of the front & back of them? Thanks Karl KCAPXIS@PTD.NET
  15. snow_man_48045

snow_man_48045 Senior Member

Lights look good. Do your self a favor, and get some black zip ties. The clear/white will rot out in time, they are not uv resistant. Black ties are uv and heat resistant, and will look alot better too. Quick fix, take longer to shop for them next time your out:)
  16. icebladez

icebladez Member
    from sask

Alaska Boss..do you remember if you were in 4wd or not pushing that mound?
  17. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

Karl,... I have the factory Boss wings,... they add 11" of width to the plow on each side, & angle forward @30°,... they go on & off in just seconds,... for pictures, go to their website, or to the Boss forum,... I posted pictures there in several threads of these wings... I would think with a little ingenuity, these wings could be adapted to other plows... as long as the curve of the moldboard is close to the same,... & you had access to a welder. Angled wings make EVERY plow much more efficient, & on a V-blade, you'll have a scoop that's unmatched,... you'll be amazed at how high you can stack with that set-up,... you have a lot longer "reach" up on snow piles with wings!!

Yeah, I sure would have used black ties if I had them,.. closest black ties to me are over 200 miles away,... so I used what I had,.. but I'll change them as soon as I get some... I hate the "add-on" look that it has now,... what I would like to do & may do after the season is over, is hide the entire wire harness, factory wires & all, inside the tubing of the light bar,... not just for looks, but to protect it from sticks that get jammed up behind the plow at times,... (you should see some of the places I have to plow,...:eek: ), and from chunks of ice that form on the harness while plowing,... that has caused me more trouble than anything else...

icebladez,.. yep I was in 4wd,... I always plow in 4wd,... that picture was from early November this winter... the first 4-5" of snow we got, & it pushed that no problem at all,... but if we get close to a foot or better at once, then I have to take smaller bites with the wings on. More pictures of plowing this road in the Boss forum,... :salute: :waving:
  18. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Thats alot of frickin' lights, I normally plow with just the parking lights on in my lots and driveways.