1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Wing It?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by SIMONE'S LAWNS SERVICE, Dec 28, 2002.

1. SIMONE'S LAWNS SERVICE

SIMONE'S LAWNS SERVICE Member

I'm new to snow removal, do it by myself, and only have a couple of accounts to do (simple parking lots) my question is this: My "starter" plow truck is an 82' F150 (beefed up suspension) with an old 7FT. Western Pro Plow. The plow is in excellent shape and is mechanically top notch but I find myself not being able to take a very big "bite" of the rows or it starts to trail snow, and sometimes if I'm turing I'll get into the snow with my tire tread. I know this is because of the smaller blade width of my plow. I'll probably have this truck two more years before I get a newer one with a new plow. Are the wings worth it? Are there any downsides to using the wings? Any input on the wings advertised on the Plowsite header screen (Turk Key Wings I believe?) Any advice would be appreciated, Thanks Guys

2. hiranger

hiranger Member

I've got the Turkey wings on a 9 foot Western. I just used them for the first time this week.I liked them. On a lot that normally takes 50 minutes took just 30 minutes on a 3 inch snow. The Turkey wings work great for stacking snow. The only downfall of the wings is that you have to be careful around parking blocks and curbs. The wings rotate rearward so you won't bend them, but if hit to hard they pop out of their channel. I did hit something
    in the snow that bent and broke the eye on the wing where the chain fastens. Have to bend and weld it back. Hope I helped you.

3. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

If you do a Search here you will find tons of threads on wings. Most comments are that they are worth it. I have used Pro-Wings on all of my plows for years and can't think of any negative comments about it. Go for it.

4. hillworks7669

hillworks7669 Junior Member

I don`t have wings, but I have heard guys talk that they increase productivity up to 35%. I am going to talk to one of my subs about putting them on his truck.

5. MGardner

MGardner Senior Member

My wings won`t fit over my new U-edge so I`m back out to the shop today to uninstall my U-edge ,then install wings , then hopefully my U-edge fits OVER the wings without trimming them.

6. Highpoint

Highpoint Senior Member

U Edge and wings

Dude!!! Trim the wings!;)

7. MGardner

MGardner Senior Member

Highpoint, Got er done. Trimmed the wings and will have to redrill holes for rubber. Hey, home of good old Midway . We used to order a lot of stuff from Midway. :waving: