1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Wing hoses on VXT

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by zjm, Dec 21, 2010.

1. zjm

zjm Senior Member

Anyone have pics showing how their hoses are run or tied back to keep them from rubbing on return springs? I bought some plumbing pipe insulation to cover and protect them. Just wondering how everyone else has theirs run. I've tried re positioning them to twist them away from springs and got tired of making a mess with the oil. Seems like they could be a little shorter for a cleaner look jmo. Pics would be cool.Thumbs Up

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

A single wire tie tying them together about 20" up from the ram end and some hose covering from there down. Do them all that way and haven't lost a single one to date.

Note: if the hoses were any shorter they'd tear the fittings out of the manifold or tear the hoses off when it trips, because that's what they do when guys shorten the hoses and don't give the trip distance a thought.

3. zjm

zjm Senior Member

Thanks B&B
    Well now i feel embarassed about the shortening the hose statement i made.
    Never gave any thought to what would happen to them if plow tripped.
    Learn something new everyday around here.
    AWSOME SITE!

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Don't be because you're far from being alone, it happens more than you'd think. I've seen dealers themselves sell a customer shorter hoses because they didn't have the correct ones on hand. "Oh here this will work it's just a little shorter". And it will until the first time it lays over and then....BANG, red snow. :eek:

5. zjm

zjm Senior Member

You can either ask questions or learn the hard way!
    I will always ask the question no matter how ridiculous it sounds.
    I gotta get pics posted of my new VXT.

6. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

On mine, I have them come out of the manifold, straight out, then then curve down right at the center section and then split off to each cylinder. I zip tie them together a few inches back from the center section.

7. Ultra Duty

Ultra Duty Member
    from NE OHIO

I have added wire loom to cover the hoses to prevent chaffing.

8. zjm

zjm Senior Member

tried the zip tie, but it broke when i was trying the wings out in different positions. I've got them protected from chaffing through. Seems like when i go from vee to scoop the hoses twist in and out with the movement of the wings making them separate and pop zip tie. I'll leave it for now and keep an eye on it to watch for wear and tear.

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You need a stronger wire tie. Thumbs Up

10. zjm

zjm Senior Member

i'll try a heavier one, used a cheap one only thing i had. was long enough just a little on the thin side.
    i'll get a jumbo tomorrrow