1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Wing for Meyer 8 foot plow

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by tsmith, Sep 20, 2006.

1. tsmith

tsmith Senior Member

Has anybody out there ever made their own wing (add-on/ pro wing style) for a Meyer 8 foot plow. Looking for picks, plans, or ideas. Yeah I guess I'm too cheap to buy one, that and I'd rather build it myself. Any thoughts?

2. tsmith

tsmith Senior Member

I found pro-wings for 180(I think)-230 I guess not bad, but even that is currently out of budget. I have more time and material than capital, and I like fabing my own stuff if at all possible. Built not bought is one of my favorite mottos.

3. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

that's cool to build your own. got to remember your time that you spend working is valuable. it could take you $50-$100 material, and labor welding and fab. would be 4-5 hours ($200-$300 depending on how much you time is worth) and the nice powder coat finish done professionally will run about $50??? thats $450!! might as well cut a skidloader tire and bolt it up.

4. tsmith

tsmith Senior Member

Well, I definately have more time than money, I can use the equipment at work as much as I want and can rumage throught the steel pile, that and I already have some spray paint, podwer coat? hmm not likely, besides on my rig it'd stand out too much. I may be a redneck, but I won't go as far as the tire, well only a piece of it for the rubber edge on the bottom.

5. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

I would have built mine own also if i had the time when i got mine but did not have it. I can take some pics of a set with some measurements but iam busy this week dad had some knee work done,so i have been at the hospital.But you might think about pusher side's not wings with that rig and they are so easy to make.I had to do some fab work on my sets for the type of plows i run but you can make anything work with a grinder,torch and cutting wheel.(lol) The big thing with the wing is the radius of the plow all the other crap is easy.Its just a piece of flat 1/4 inch plate with some 5/8 round stock for pivot's. Will try to help Eric...:waving:

6. tsmith

tsmith Senior Member

Thanks Eric for the thoughts, any pics and dimentions would be a great help. I have recently found some diagrams and dimentions for some available wings. I like the idea of the "box" type ends, but I really want to use it to catch trail off, well primarily. If my understanding is correct the box end type don't do well when the plow is angled, that is a concern to me. Any ideas are good though, thanks for the input.

Thad

7. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

Hey to build the wing is easy if you just got some basic machine tools band saw for the radius and a brake for the two outside edges or just saw them. Welder and some round stock for the pins.Mounting brackets are some flat stock.
    http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=33130&highlight=reskin Old post from me reskin of some plows check out some post of mine.....

Last edited: Sep 24, 2006